Chrome Helper eating a TON of cpu

Reaction score
I am using osx 10.9.4 (mavericks). When I run any website that streams media on google chrome (youtube, soundcloud, etc.), the fan goes crazy. I open activity monitor and a process called 'google chrome helper' will use up to 95% cpu usage during this time. I'll close the website and google chrome helper will go down to about 10%. Is there any way to disable this?

I have tried changing the plugin settings to 'click to play,' I have no extensions running, and I have tried switching browsers... I have the same problem with safari, opera, and firefox.

What to do? I just want to be able to watch videos and listen to music without my fan running at top speed... it's quite annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is a long standing problem that apparently has something to do with Chrome's extensions/plugins. Given how far back these complaints go, it seems Google is in no rush to fix it. Here's one tip someone posted in Apple's forums:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5572267

Basically, you have to go into Chrome's settings and enable the "Click to Play" option so that plugins don't load automatically.

EDIT: More to read:
What Is Google Chrome Helper, and Why Is It Hogging My CPU Cycles? | WIRED

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
See if any of those sites have non-Flash based alternatives. YouTube, for instance has an HTML5 powered version of their player (see here).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.