mac mini setup for file server

Reaction score
Hi,

Hoping someone can advise on a setup to use a mac mini as a file server with the data on external storage.

We have held of purchasing in order to wait for the new updated model, only to find that they have replaced the quad core processors with dual core.

My main question then is what would be a recommended

CPU - 2.6 i5 / 2.8 i5 / 3.0 i7 or older 2.6 i7
Ram - 8Gb / 16Gb
HDD - 1Tb SATA / 1Tb Fusion / 256Gb Flash / 512Gb Flash or older SSD

We have decided on the Lacie 8big for storage which is Thunderbolt 2, even though I appreciate this will be restricted by the Gb switches, however rack mounted storage is preferred. Therefore the mac mini will only be doing file sharing, no mail server but want capacity for the future.

Would be grateful if someone could please advise

Reaction score
Stay away from Lacie let me explain Lacie doesn't have a good track record with drive enclosures they produced several that burned out drive failure mass lists of issues.

i honestly can recommend a better option i take it you want the file server to access files via the server through a external storage device there is a nicer option i own one myself it's cheap and affordable

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/?tag=macforums0e4-20

it's 99.99 it goes to 7 tb of storage this is the cheaper option for file sharing.

Here is the professional option

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ITI0514/?tag=macforums0e4-20

i have setup this one as well like it for it's price but a bit pricy

Now because you are doing a server you can also do this with the mac mini

Amazon.com: HighPoint Thunderbolt 2 Storage and PCIe Expansion Station NA211TB-LD: Computers & Accessories

and add pci cards and expand it to as well

i recommend 16 gig's of ram max the hard drive size if you can

Now if you only want to do file sharing only and streaming video and music only and the server doesn't need safari for net access (a,k,a accessing youtube Facebook) you can also purchase a older mini with a older version of server and run the machine that way.

I have 2 Macintoshes i went online and purchased mac os x tiger server unlimited license and i use it on not one server but 2 and i use a NAS with it and because i only use it for file sharing in my house i really don't need anything to go online to youtube or Facebook so safari use is none

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It would purely be file sharing no streaming of music or video. I'll have to check the storage again, they theory with the Lacie is that it's rack mounted which was a preference for security and space.

Keen also to get a newer one in order to have the support of the Applecare which I'm guessing won't get if we purchase an older one as it won't be available through Apple.

Not sure if we are going to notice the processor differences that much, saying that, if we do go for newer, whether the 3.0Ghz is going to have any realistic benefit over the other ones

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.