Yosemite to iPhone hand off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook pro (mid 12), running a OS X Yosemite, Iphone 5s IOS 8.0.2, Iphone 4s IOS 7
hi guys,
maybe one of you would be able to help me,

after installing the new OS X Yosemite. i can't connect my ios 8, 5s to my mid 12 macbook pro with latest os x yosemite, no hand off neither airdrop from iphone to mac.
mac can see iphone (only for airdrop), no hand off at all for bothe directions, iphone can not connect BT and see mac. check all procedures, connections etc.
no sign for handsfree, continuity
on the mac, looking at the Blue tooth devices i can see my iphone, and when pushing 'pair' i get a number and at the same time i see the same number on my iphone...pushing the ok, the connection does not work.
and i get a msg, like , check if the mac is near by etc...
although this is the least of my problems with my macbook pro (operation issues and mac care issues u won't believe) and iOS 8
pls. advise.
many thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved your question to a new thread. It's not proper forum etiquette to hi-jack someone else's thread especially with a different subject.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook pro (mid 12), running a OS X Yosemite, Iphone 5s IOS 8.0.2, Iphone 4s IOS 7
thanks for telling me so.

thank you very much, i am new to all forum stuff (never been to one before) and very very frustrated with this "computer" macbook pro.(never seeing anything like it, worst thing i ever bought).
i saw people talking about the OS X Yosemite so i wrote there.
sorry.
hope to get a response soon.
thanks again.

C

chas_m

I can't really understand what you're trying to say apart from continuity isn't working, but I think that's because you're under the mistaken impression it has something to do with Bluetooth. It doesn't.

Both the iPhone and the Mac must be using the same Wi-Fi network. The Mac MUST be running the current release of Yosemite, and the iPhone MUST be running at least 8.0.2 or higher (8.1 came out today).

When someone calls, I can hear my iPhone (in the other room) ring. After the second ring, a notification comes up on my Mac (and iPad) and I can answer the call.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chas_m hi.
thanks for your answer.

sorry in advance for my english.

it is possible i am confusing terms, so i will explain what i am experiencing (or not actually).
first of all, i am working with:
computer- a macbook pro mid 12, 13" with the latest OS X Yosemite released and installed a few days ago.
iphone- 5s with IOS 8.0.2.
both running on the same wi-fi network.

the symptoms:
1.Handoff - i saw some movies and read material regarding the new things Yosemite has to offer and saw how it works. so between my mac and iphone no handoff works for non of the apps (mail, notes etc). i start a mail on the iphone and nothing appears on the mac afterwords and vice versa (sitting with both screens in front of me). simply the handoff icon (the separate app on the doc or the small app on the iphone - nada).
2. airdrop - on my mac, when i open the airdrop on finder and my iphone is on as well, the mac can see the iphone and i can send images or files to the iphone, however the other way around does not work. when i try to send an image to the mac i can't see the mac on my iphone in the airdrop screen.
maybe this is where i got confused, since i understood that airdrop works using bluetooth.
i try to connect and "pair" between both mac and iphone,(system preferences-bluetooth-) i even manage to see a code confirmation number that appears on both machines and after pressing 'ok' on the dialogue box on the iphone the massage i get is that the connection could not be complete and i should verify that the mac is nearby (natural i am sitting with both of them together looking on both screens). - just for the record, the mac can connect to other BT devices.
3. phone calles, what you describes in your answer, works on my mac as well, maybe not so quick, but works, a call enters to my iPhone and a few rings afterword the call appears on the mac (only when the FaceTime app in open, if it closed the call won't pass to the mac, is it ok?).

hope i am more clear now and you will be able help me solve this.

since i am all new to forums behaviour i will try and understand where can i write about a situation of continuos issue i have regarding a very very bad apple care lack of responsibility with a mac.

many thaks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.