EHD Problem

Reaction score
My EHD shuts down after a short time of inactivity, I then get a message to say I've not ejected it. Then it will not open again without a period of extensive shut down. I don't think the EHD is overheating and I wonder if there is a S/W problem on my iMac that can be corrected to overcome the problem. The EHD is a 500Gb Maxtor

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you tried verifying the hard drive using Disk Utility?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes and the verification brought up several errors that I repaired using disc utility. Unfortunately this has not fixed the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Yes and the verification brought up several errors that I repaired using disc utility. Unfortunately this has not fixed the problem.

Before retirement, I was on Windows machines and used Maxtor external HDs for backup - had a couple just 'die' on me (both made clicking sounds - how about yours?) - fortunately my computers HDs were still intact. But if possible, I would first try to get your files onto another backup device. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bad news that Maxtor alas.

When it is booted and running, go into Disk Utility on the internal drive, select the external and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. Sounds like the Maxtor is on its last legs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
A very wise decision Brian.

How old was the Maxtor? My opinion only, but Seagate have slipped. WD seem to be doing it better.

OP
B
Reaction score
Maxtor is 3 years old. Although not binning it, I have disconnected it and put it away, it holds data that I might need later if I can down load it when needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Maxtor is 3 years old. Although not binning it, I have disconnected it and put it away, it holds data that I might need later if I can down load it when needed.

Hi again - don't delay - I would try to get all of the important data possible off the Maxtor and onto some other storage device - just what I would do - Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.