I need help for wireless Linksys WRT54G

Reaction score
Ive been having problem configuring my wireless connection. i have a Linksys WRT54G. i got as far as the airport being connected but not being able to browse.

When i check the Network status, it says "Airport is connected. Airport has a self-assigned ip address and may not be able to connect to the internet"

When i check the settings in TCP/IP for Airport, my IP address is 169.254.x.x
this adddress never changes. i read somewhere that this number should be changed.

ive tried to reset the modem and the router but it does nto change anything
the wired connection works fine

Can someone help me
Any help or suggestions will be appriciated

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Your IP should be 192.168.x.x or something like that. Did you click the Renew DHCP Lease button? With the wired connection check through Safari the settings on your router and make sure all's well there.

OP
T
Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
Your IP should be 192.168.x.x or something like that. Did you click the Renew DHCP Lease button? With the wired connection check through Safari the settings on your router and make sure all's well there.

Yes i did click on Renew DHCP Lease button. ive also tried to manually add the address 192.168.1.100 which is the Ip of my router but it does not help. ive also tried to add the DNS of my server but that does not change anything either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
what kind of internet connection do you have?

K

Kokopelli

In TCPIP networks a 169.254.x.x address is used for when there is not a DHCP server available. As long as you have a 169 address you will not be able to get to the internet. This has nothing to do with your outwards connectivity of the Linksys but with the connectivity between your Computer and the Linksys.

EDIT: OK, Wired connection works. So... Have you done any configuration changes on the WRT54G yet?

MAC filter is one possibility that comes to mind. If you want to try the quick way just reset the router and start from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
tangram said:
I actually re-did the installation of my router and it works now

good deal :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.