Mac will boot into Windows partition, but not Mac OSX

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2009 macbook pro that has both windows and mac osx on it. I put bootcamp on my mac back in 2010, so this isn't a new thing. For some reason, my computer now won't boot into my mac side. I'm running Windows 7, and I can still access it just fine using option when I startup and select Windows.

My mac side is the default boot, but I just get the loading apple logo.
Troubleshooting tried:
Resetting PRAM (didn't work)
Recovery Mode (nothing happens, absolutely nothing)
Mac safe mode (same result, just loading apple)

When I'm in Windows, I can still see everything on my mac side. I just pull up the Macintosh HD and I can see all of my files/applications, etc. It just won't boot into Mac OSX. I'm feeling like this is my last ditch effort. I don't think anything is going to work, but hoping someone might have any idea at all of something more to try. Since I can't get into the recovery, my hopes are pretty low.

Thanks for any advice that can be provided.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of OS X are you running? And, if you can "see" your Macintosh HD from Windows, make a backup of all your data as soon as you can. We've seen this problem occur before where the hard drive is damaged so that OS X will not boot but yet the Windows part of the hard drive (Boot Camp partition) is OK and still boots.

You may possibly need a new hard drive. If you change out the hard drive, don't forget to clone your Windows 7 partition first. Use Winclone for that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey there, my OSX version is Snow Leopard.. I KNOW I KNOW. Crucify me now. I have all of my data backed up, and I have a time machine backup on an exhd (hopefully it works, haven't needed to update it in awhile). The problem is I can't get to the recovery in order to use that time machine. Kinda frustrating! I have been bouncing over into my mac os to see i there is any data that I'd need, but I think I have all the important stuff.

I have another hard drive with mac osx on it, but it isn't large enough to put bootcamp on. So still have some faint glimmer of a hope I can salvage this one, but it isn't looking good.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey.. it's OK. Nothing wrong with Snow Leopard it's one of the best versions of OS X from Apple. Hopefully you can salvage all your data and with WinClone you should be able to keep all your Windows data and apps safe also. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Startup Disc and hihglight by single clicking on the OS X.6.7 drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.