Yosemite problem. Cannot receive or send email

Reaction score
I have just installed the latest Yosemite update on my iMac and all appears ok with the exception that i cannot receive or send emails. I use aol but am at a loss to figure what has gone wrong. When I try and send an email to myself the system asks me for my password but does not recognise it. This is wrong as I have not changed it, so something on the new system is screwing it up. Can anyone help me please ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 27" 2.93GHz Intel Quad Core i7 iMac 12Gb Ram OS X 10.8.5 / 10.10
I had the same problem with the BETA of Yosemite.
When i installed the final version (yesterday), i just used migration assistant and transferred all my files and settings from my ML partition and now it works fine.

(I don't use aol so cannot comment on if it will work).

OP
D
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the BETA of Yosemite.
When i installed the final version (yesterday), i just used migration assistant and transferred all my files and settings from my ML partition and now it works fine.

(I don't use aol so cannot comment on if it will work).

Thanks Steve, I have found the migration assistant but am not competent enough to try what you are suggesting as I do not know how to achieve it and indeed what ML stands for.
Will have to call Apple.

C

chas_m

I'd suggest, instead of calling Apple (which is unlikely to be any help, as they don't provide support for AOL mail accounts) that you instead carefully examine your AOL mail account settings in Mail against the instructions for AOL mail found on the web ...

Another option would be simply delete the AOL account and re-add the account, again following the instructions from the web. You'll want to make sure you don't lose any saved emails by backing them up before trying this.

A third option would be to use a web browser to sign into AOL webmail. I noted when testing Yosemite that some types of AOL support appear to have been dropped, such as support for AOL chat rooms in Messages. I assume this was a deliberate move by either AOL or Apple.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for all your recommendations guys but it was a bit more complicated than your suggested remedies. I called Apple and the first person had my permission to log on to my iMac remotely and could see everything that I was looking at and also had their cursor showing the screen. I did as requested and made many changes all to no avail. That person then passed me onto their supervisor and he got me to do many things most of which did not work,but eventually it all started working perfectly.
It actually took 2 1/2 hours to solve.
My new Yosemite operating system now works well, and I will have to try out other stuff on here to make sure there are no problems. But I do have a personal phone number to go back to if I experience further problems.
Brilliant service from Apple.
But thanks everyone on here.
Please don,t ask me what they did as its all beyond my limited knowledge.

Reaction score
I've had AOL mail for 10 years with no problems, but since upgrading to Yosemite a couple of weeks ago have regular headaches.

First I noticed I wasn't getting all my emails - though I could see them on my iPad. And randomly AOL was deciding something was spam - - so I'd receive two emails from a known contact normally; then a third one ten minutes later would be caught in the spam folder. And for the last two days some emails are arriving from one known sender but with contents for another sender (eg a message supposedly from a colleague but containing a wine merchant's latest offers instead) and today some messages have arrived several times!! And another weird thing is that the junk box stores endless drafts of emails I write.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

OP
D
Reaction score
I've had AOL mail for 10 years with no problems, but since upgrading to Yosemite a couple of weeks ago have regular headaches.

First I noticed I wasn't getting all my emails - though I could see them on my iPad. And randomly AOL was deciding something was spam - - so I'd receive two emails from a known contact normally; then a third one ten minutes later would be caught in the spam folder. And for the last two days some emails are arriving from one known sender but with contents for another sender (eg a message supposedly from a colleague but containing a wine merchant's latest offers instead) and today some messages have arrived several times!! And another weird thing is that the junk box stores endless drafts of emails I write.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

As I started this thread I probably should reply. I am no expert, unlike many on here, so someone may come along with the right solution. But, could I suggest a call to Apple, as I did, who will ring you back at their cost and shadow you on your computer and make various changes. This worked for me. Really helpful people.
I too, had been with AOL for about 12 years, when, at the same time as my problem above, someone hacked my email account, not my computer and sent out some abnoxious emails to all my contacts. Have now finished with AOL.

Reaction score
Thanks for this swift reply. I should have said, I've already spent 30 minutes on the phone with Apple looking at my screen remotely and making suggestions...But with no improvement

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.