How Secure is iDrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Now that I have my .Mac membership, I've been storing a number of files remotely. The files that I most want to store, are the files that are probably the most sensitive (personal data, etc). But, having them available remotely from anywhere would be a real convenience. I recently read that in earlier versions of OS X, Apple had a hole in it's implementation of WebDAV. Now at 10.4.5, are files secure when stored remotely? I understand that "secure" is a relative term, but I just want some level of confidence that there isn't some easy hack to access everyone's iDrive. Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Although I can't answer your question, as an extra layer of security, you could always put the files in a encypted disk image (use disk utility, it's in the /Applications/Utilities folder) and then upload that to .mac instead.

Either way the files will then be secure and it only takes a second the make the disk image.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
Thanks very much. That spawns a second question though: How would such files/image be assessible from Windows machines? Perhaps an ecrypted ZIP archive instead? Hmm..

Mark

Reaction score
lol I was going to add at the end of my post that if you need windows access then encrypted zip is easiest. I think you can read .dmg files on XP but you need to install a couple of programs, which kinda defeats the idea of having the info on your .mac accessible all the time (like say you are in a cyber-cafe)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.