Fixed my Mail app issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I do not believe this! Okay I tend to dwell on a problem and drive everyone around me nuts because I get so focused. Not always good because I can miss the forest for the trees.

Anyway, I decided to shut off my router firewall. That did the trick. I am not thrilled that I had to shut off the firewall. I was using the standard medium setting with no special ports blocked. When I am sure the mail app is working I will start messing with my firewall settings to see what will work. Need to research what ports were being blocked and what has changed with the mail app.

Right now I have a bizillion emails downloading. Great.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Great news, Lisa! :Cool:

I am that way too with problem solving though my fault is that I always expect it to be complicated and miss the simple stuff (Doh!!). But in the end it always feels good when you conquer the problem (like with me today fixing my iTunes update problem).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good going Lisa!

When you do research it, do let us know what port was causing the issue as it might help someone else.

C

chas_m

So did you have the software firewall on as well when you were having this issue?

If so, you turned off the wrong firewall.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, did you read her post? It was the HARDWARE firewall blocking Mail. The Software one in OSX does NOT block any mail ports. I have used it for years and never had that issue.

The only way the Software Firewall in OSX would block mail ports is if you configured it custom to do so. Stock no way. She knows a LOT about computers and I doubt would block the ports she is using.

Last edited:
OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It was a hardware issue. My Frontier/Netgear 7550 dsl modem/router was 99% of the issue. Once I changed the firewall setting to minimal I started getting mail. I did figure out is was not just a mail app issue because I installed Outlook - because I had it - and the same issue.

It is impossible to tell what the medium settings block because they don't tell you. I can set up custom rules that open or close ports. For now I went to the minimum setting. I have my mac firewall on. From what I was able to trace with Wireshark, when I set my modem to medium it would block 995, 993, 25, 465. Why is a puzzle to me because I had the same medium setting with Mavericks and had no issues. It has to be some change in they did in Yosemite. I am willing to bet they will issue an update and all will play nice again. I had no problem at work so either my firewall is junk - and it is not - or it plays better with Yosemite.

One issue remains. I can receive email on my gmail account but I can not send it. When I look at the account in system pref -> internet accounts it shows checks for calendar and contacts but not mail. When I try to check it I get a message of "an unknown error has occurred." I can receive mail but not send it from that account. I read online that I needed to change settings for my smtp.gmail.com settings but I can not figure out where to do that. If I add the email account under "add other account" nothing happens, the window disappears. If I add it under the Google setting I can not edit the information. Anyone have any pearls of wisdom??? It is not my main account so I really am out nothing. I use it for my calendar and contacts. Just annoying.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.