Can yosemite be installed on his Mac?

Reaction score
OK. So now we have Yosemite. But I cannot figure out whether I can downloaded safely to my Mac or not because I am not clear on the requirements and would ask someone to please explain this to me. I would appreciate it a lot.

My Mac is just over 3 years old. I am running on v.10.9.6. its processor is a 2 GHz Intel Core i7 model and it has a 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory.

Regards,

Emile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Check on OS X.9.6 as it has yet to be released?

If this is the late 2011 2GHz MacBook Pro, it can handle up to 16GB memory and would suggest increase to 8GB for Yosemite. And you can download safely via the App Store assuming you have an Apple ID eunuch.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Technically Yosemite will run on 4 GB of ram but Harry's right 8 GB or more would be better.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For anyone else asking, If your Mac will run Mavericks, it will run Yosemite!

I second at least 8GB Ram for either Mavericks or Yosemite!

OP
E
Reaction score
I was afraid of that! Yosemite may be a free upgrade, but the extra memory will be expensive...for me, anyway.

Thanks much for your quick reply.

Emile

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I was afraid of that! Yosemite may be a free upgrade, but the extra memory will be expensive...for me, anyway.

Thanks much for your quick reply.

Emile

Take heart I'm running it on my MBP with 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and it works fine. The bottom line is if you can run Mavericks you can run Yosemite. Having said that doubling your RAM will be a big improvement in performance but the same applies to Mavericks.
More RAM is better but if you were satisfied with your performance before there is no reason to wait.
You can just buy a single 4 Gb RAM memory module to replace one of the 2 Gb and increase to a total of 6 Gb with your old 2 Gb that cuts the cost and will give you a big improvement in performance.;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.