Two Macs, want to access the same files on each

D

dustonio

I'm going to graduate school and will be taking two computers with me. I'll be using my 15" PowerBook for classroom work and for working on group projects. I will also have a MacMini in my dorm room, which will be hooked up to a 23" Cinema Display. The PowerBook will be my main computer, but I prefer working from the MacMini because of the larger screen, which will always be connected to it. (I *could* theoretically connect/disconnect my PB to the Cinema Display, but I don't want the hassle.)

Here is my dilemma. I would like to use both computers to access the same files, although never simultaneously. I already have a .Mac account so I guess I could use iDisk to access the files, but I was wondering if there are alternative solutions that I didn't consider.

One idea I had was to use the MacMini as a client of the PowerBook and work off the files from the PB wirelessly.

The downside of depending on iDisk is that I would not be able to access the files unless I was connected to the internet.

Reaction score
Surely it is a lot more hassle to mess around with files and syncing than it is to spend 5 seconds connecting your display to your pb?

In anycase, what about networking the pb and mini (ethernet or wireless) and then using a synchronisation program to sync (say for example) your work folder between both computers (you may get into problems if you edit the same file seperately on both computers and then decide to sync however). If you sync every night before you go to bed then the files you take with you the following day on your pb will be the same as the mini.

OP
M

MJGUK

Well I would recommend using a sync program such as Chronosync to sync your data/files between the two computers.

You could sync anything from just a few folders, to your entire directory, the options are endless and it is very easy. I use this program on a day to day basis for the exact same purpose.

For me, I just connect them over wireless networking.
So you could either use the same method, or get a firewire cable and transfer the data that way.

Good Luck!

OP
D

dustonio

MJGUK said:
Well I would recommend using a sync program such as Chronosync to sync your data/files between the two computers.

You could sync anything from just a few folders, to your entire directory, the options are endless and it is very easy. I use this program on a day to day basis for the exact same purpose.

For me, I just connect them over wireless networking.
So you could either use the same method, or get a firewire cable and transfer the data that way.

Good Luck!

Thanks for pointing me to ChronoSync, MJGUK! It's exactly what I needed. I just now set it up and successfully selected the files I'd like to keep on both machines using my home WiFi network.

I've set it up to Sync after my MacMini (the target) becomes mounted. One question though, will my PowerBook automatically see the MacMini mounted when I come into range of the WiFi router? I'd like to sync the files as often as possible, preferably when I come into WiFi range and also when a file is modified on one of the computers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.