No BluRay/DVD player with New IMac or MacbookPro

Reaction score
Not happy with #Apple reviewed their Computers, none come with DVD/BluRay player as an option. I believe that consumers are still using discs despite Apple pushing iTunes and the Cloud. If Apple is going to force the Consumer to purchase an external drive then they should allow the user to burn their Movies to their hard drive storage and access them through iTunes, like they do music. Am I alone in this opinion?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm not exactly sure where you are headed here. Movies can be moved to a hard drive / accessed through iTunes.. I've got a few on my hard drive right now. Rentals do expire after a period of time.

BTW the holdup here is copy protection. The studios, not Apple, insist on copy protection to protect their rights. Downloading a movie to a hard drive does not, in and of itself, cause problems as long as the movie waspurchased / rented from legitimate sources and used in accordance with the license.

OP
L
Reaction score
I use Handbrake to copy my DVDs. I then can access them through my AppleTV but they are under my Computer on network category, not Movies. Because of that I cannot access these movies on my IPad or MacBook when I travel . When I burn a music disc it is added directly to my Music collection and then ITunes MATCHED. I then can access on both my iPhone and iPad. If Apple would allow the same process for movies I could use the DVD movies on my laptop and iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And this happened nearly three years ago and yes think you are alone, or pretty much so. Perhaps three or four threads about it only. There are always externals, and if you were a Mac user back when the original Bondi Blue iMac was released with no floppy, now that was the end of the civilised world as we knew it.

Called progress.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not happy with #Apple reviewed their Computers, none come with DVD/BluRay player as an option.

Technically this is not true. There is still one MacBook Pro model Apple is selling that still havs an optical drive built-in. The low end 13" 2.5ghz MacBook Pro still has an optical drive.

Am I alone in this opinion?

Ooh...you are not alone with this opinion at all.:) But 2-2.5 years ago when this was "new news"...there were probably more folks that felt this way. Since then things have changed somewhat (fewer folks dependent on disks...and more stuff is internet based). Thus I'm guessing there are fewer folks now that think this is an issue.

Plus...you can get an external optical drive for as little as $30-$50 (maybe even less on sale). So for the few times folks need an optical drive...this really isn't that big of a compromise.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I really dont see what all the fuss is about here.. You can get a qaulity Asus DVD Burner for like $25 off Newegg or Amazon. You can get a BlueRay burner for $60! Plus they only need USB 2.0. So instead of paying Apple $100 more for a system with a built in drive, you can save money and get your own.
You should thank Apple for doing you a favor..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not happy with #Apple reviewed their Computers, none come with DVD/BluRay player as an option.

I also forgot to mention. No Apple computer has ever had a "direct from Apple" BluRay drive.

- Nick

p.s. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.:) I didn't feel like checking (too lazy at 1:30am)!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.