Apparently I didn't put my macbook back together properly...

Reaction score
Hiiiii tech friends. I was feel ambitious this morning and attempted to disassemble my macbook (2006?). It has this thing where it only turns on sporadically. It doesn't have a battery so should I ever accidentally unplug it, it shuts off. Getting it back on is always a gamble and with ultra high profile work I do on there I felt compelled to fix it (ei. Make it worse). I got as far as removing all the body screws hard drive and those two little card things when I realized my precision screwdriver set was simply not precise enough (and that I was getting in was over my head). Now it does receive power (still not reliably) and when I press the power button it makes the weird startup noise it usually does but nothing comes on the screen and the sleep light it flashing weird.

C

chas_m

If you're doing "ultra high-profile work" on an six-year-old machine ... Do I really need to finish that sentence?

As for getting your soon-to-be-former machine back to booting, I'd suggest looking up the repair guide for your model on ifixit.com, where you can also discover and buy the right tools for repairing it.

OP
A
Reaction score
I said 2006, so it's at least an eight year old machine, which consumerists have been telling me to replace for the past four years which in my opinion is totally unethical.

Thanks for the condescending advice though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
A
Reaction score
So good news! My brother, excited by the opportunity to disassemble a macbook without the pressure of an expected outcome, simply removed the disc drive, which had been out of service for the past 5 years and did some light cleaning. It now functions exactly as it ought short of a tendency to want to shut down if left running unattended for about 30 minutes or more, which is prevented if safari or other programs that require permission to close are running. It might not have a long life ahead of it but I think I can get at least another year out of it. ^-^

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good work. Thanks for posting back and letting us know. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.