Is this a bit flat and boring or what??

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OK Yosemite is working very well, I have updated apps as required including CCC ($19.99) but can't do without it but the whole thing apart from Dark mode which I really like is just a bit flat. Is it just me?? I used to like the 3D shadow effect on windows that gave that floating effect. Oh well. I guess thats progress.

C

chas_m

It's not JUST you, but I strongly disagree. To me, Yosemite gets the look ridiculously right, a stunning mix of futuristic and minimalist design that looks utterly gorgeous -- far better than iOS 7, in my opinion!

Mountain Lion looks positively primitive by comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I agree chas_m

Apple has got this just right. The icons, the fonts - all perfect to me. And I love the dark side - sorry mode!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's got some nice and some not so nice. John Siracusa at Ars has a great discussion of the good and bad that comes with the new look. Part of the aesthetic success also depends on the display. From what I've seen (and read), Apple has optimized the UI for retina displays which has, as a consequence, blurred lines throughout. Fonts, for example, are blurry on my non-retina display.

The one part Apple could have screwed up (transparency) wasn't. I've seen it look terrible before...

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I noticed some people asked why did Apple make the iTunes icon red. I can't say I like or dislike it really but it just hit me. Check the iPhone, what colour is the Music icon? Aha, it's ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The old, old problem of personal choices and what appeals to me may not appeal to Rod.

Just right imho.

C

chas_m

I noticed some people asked why did Apple make the iTunes icon red. I can't say I like or dislike it really but it just hit me. Check the iPhone, what colour is the Music icon? Aha, it's ....

I'm fascinated by people for whom this is a big deal, or indeed any sort of issue at all. Who cares? It's hardly the first time Apple has changed the colour. Where were these people when they switched it from green to blue?

If you have to dig that deeply to find something to complain about ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
C'mon chas, everyone has an opinion here and we respect them all. I happen to agree with Rod. Good grief, Apple is not perfect and certainly can't make everyone happy with everything they do. Well, you might be the exception.... ;P (Just joshing you.)

C

chas_m

We're all entitled to an opinion, but some of them are sufficiently nit-picky that it is breathtaking, in this wave of real issues that some people are having, that one would expend the time to rail about something so unbelievably minor.

A red icon versus a blue icon ... good grief ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am not bored! Still working on the mail app issue.....which for me is NOT working. Sign... All the rest is just window dressing.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
don't worry "bryce canyon" is due out in 2015!

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We're all entitled to an opinion, but some of them are sufficiently nit-picky that it is breathtaking, in this wave of real issues that some people are having, that one would expend the time to rail about something so unbelievably minor.

A red icon versus a blue icon ... good grief ...

Well chas I was quoting others about the colour objection, my observation was about cross device integration. I had only just noticed the Music app on my iPhone has been red since last iOS 7 update. Don't use my iPhone for music much. Red is fine with me.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not bored! Still working on the mail app issue.....which for me is NOT working. Sign... All the rest is just window dressing.

Lisa
Lisa I think you got lost in the tread. What was your prob with Mail again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Except that Bryce Canyon is in Utah not California....

the "LeBrea Tar pits"?
or Salton sea.......OSX12.2.4 in late 2017!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chas, I hope they make the iTunes icon Pink with baby blue pokadots! I bet you would love it even if it tuned brown! :D

Anyone remember the Brown Microsoft Zune and all the heat MS got for it?

On a more serious note, Make the next OSX Modesto after my city! Why not? I live here! :D Grin

Reaction score
It's got some nice and some not so nice. John Siracusa at Ars has a great discussion of the good and bad that comes with the new look. Part of the aesthetic success also depends on the display. From what I've seen (and read), Apple has optimized the UI for retina displays which has, as a consequence, blurred lines throughout. Fonts, for example, are blurry on my non-retina display.

The one part Apple could have screwed up (transparency) wasn't. I've seen it look terrible before...

FWIW I quite like it except, as it's been optimised for retina displays, is there any way to improve the slightly blurry text on no-retina devices?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW I quite like it except, as it's been optimised for retina displays, is there any way to improve the slightly blurry text on no-retina devices?

Not blurry here on a 27" iMac using best resolution. In System Preferences, General, there's an option for LCD Font smoothing. Do you have that chosen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
OK Yosemite is working very well, I have updated apps as required including CCC ($19.99) but can't do without it but the whole thing apart from Dark mode which I really like is just a bit flat. Is it just me?? I used to like the 3D shadow effect on windows that gave that floating effect. Oh well. I guess thats progress.

Its not just you.

I really feel many of the icons and the top part of the application windows were not finished. They look rushed and lack proper contrast. They could have made this look really well with just a bit of polishing up and a few minor accents..

I used to make themes for GNOME desktop and I can tell you, if I released a theme like this, it would have got a %30 approval rating at best..

All that said, its still better looking then Windows 8 and 10..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Chas, I hope they make the iTunes icon Pink with baby blue ........

I am likely the only person happy about the color change.. Although I would have went with hot rod red. Reason being is I constantly would get the old iTunes icon mixed up with QuickTime or FrostWire..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.