connect 2 cinema displays to mac pro 2009

Reaction score
hello,
I have one cinema display already using my mini display port. I just bought another 27" led cinema display that only has a mini display out. How would I connect this to my duel link dvi port?
Do I need to get another graphics card?
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your post is lacking in details.

1. What Apple Cinema displays are you talking about (you did mention the 27")? What is the other one (there are multiple models)? Apple has had Cinema Displays since 1999.
2. What video card do you currently have?
3. What ports does your video card have?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
What Apple Cinema -
Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel) -just bought refurb on apple site

What video card do you currently have?
3. What ports does your video card have?---NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB of GDDR3 memory, PCI Express 2.0, one Mini DisplayPort, and one dual-link DVI port

The new cinema display (same as old one) only has the mini display port out. How can I go from that to my duel link? Do I have to purchase another video card?
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the bottom line is…you have two 27" Apple external displays…and the GT-120 video card has two video ports.

This is the deal with the GT-120 video card. The NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 is capable of supporting two 30-inch displays with a resolution of 2560x1600. Two 27" displays with a resolution of 2560x1440 each…is less than this…so you should have no problem doing it. You just need the proper video adapters (if necessary) to attach them.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
yep..thanks, but thats what I'm trying to figure out...
So what i need is a FEMALE mini display to MALE dual link. That is the opposite of what apple sells, and anything i found online doesn't support the full resolution.

I'm assuming buying another video card is the answer, unless I hear otherwise. That being said, do you know any other option other then this?
Amazon.com: Nvidia GeForce GT 120 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro: Computers & Accessories

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm absolutely positive the adapter you need is available…you just may not be shopping on the best website. These guys probably have what you need:

Monoprice

And yes…purchasing a 2nd GT120 video card would/could be a solution. But I certainly wouldn't purchase the one from the Amazon link. GT120's are a low-end video card…and be purchased for much less. Around $75 on eBay. About 2-3 years ago I bought one for $50. So if you are willing to shop a bit…you can get one for less than $75.:)

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
honestly if you can afford a second one i would do it because it would take the load off of the main card and balance the machines power usage its not a bad idea!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.