New SSD, Clean Yosemite Install Or Backup From Time Machine?

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just bought 16GB RAM and a 512GB MX100 SSD from Crucial to upgrade my MBP 15 Early 2011.

So They are sat waiting on the side and then Yosemite is released yesterday.

So do I do a clean install of Yosemite on a new disk (No idea how) or just upgrade on my HDD to Yosemite, back up, then install from the drive to my new SSD?

Basically I'm not sure what will happen when I insert a completely blank drive into my MBP.

Will it prompt to install an IOS operating system or just do nothing and sit there?

SO do I need to make a bootable USB drive and all the other steps or will it just ask me to plug in time machine with blank drive? Im assuming not as where would those instructions be stored if not on hard drive?

I know there is lots of voodoo about standing on one leg, while holing down command key and then use mac cleaner to remove cache. It appears a real split if clean installing will even improve performance over just keeping clutter down and removing unwanted stuff?

Thanks

Colin

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Clean install and migrate your user accounts and apps from the backup. That's how I'm doing it.

EDIT: Make sure you can boot off of your backup (you can simply have your old drive in an external enclosure, then boot off that), and have the Yosemite installer on the backup. Run it from there. Obviously take care to install it to the correct drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I guess the best way to do this is make a bootable USB and use that for clean install.

I think for the sake of doing some more homework I will upgrade to yosemite off my current drive, then backup and restore from my backup to the new SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.