Self-Hosted Cloud Alternatives (Transporter or others)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has had any firsthand experience with Connected Data's "Transporter" file sync device? I've been looking into my options for self-hosted alternatives to cloud storage and this seems like the best option out there.

Specifically, I'm looking at getting the empty unit and adding my own internal 2.5" hard drive. But, before I do that, I'm trying to figure out a few things:

1. Even though their website says no, has anyone actually ever tried an SSD in this unit themselves? And did it work?
  2. What's the overall experience like on OS X? Is it really as seamless as Dropbox?
  3. How's the reliability and performance if you're hosting the unit at home but syncing files remotely (or pulling down the non-sync'd files from the Library folder)? I've got a solid 50/5 (down/up) connection from my cable provider.
And finally, if you think that something else like the WD My Cloud or Seagate Central is a better option, let me know why if you can.

Thanks! Looking forward to any feedback that anyone might have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.