Automatic Logout when lid closed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini
Hi there,

The title of this thread may have given away my question, but i'll start from the beginning anyway.

My GF keeps using my computer and logging into MSN under my account which really annoys me when she leave herself logged in, I should maybe just ban her from the Mac:)

I digress, basically I'm looking for a way for my computer to automatically log out when I close the lid.

Is there any way I can get my lappy to do this?

Thanks for your help

G :yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Go to System Preferences, Security. Then select "use password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver"
Now all you have to do is change your password to something she doesn't know then you are sorted.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
areth2j
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB Ram...G4 Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, 512 MB Ram...External Lacie 250GB Mini
Thanks mate, thats kool. I found that option ealier but I was looking to have some way of getting to the main login screen so that if say I opened up the lid I could select my profile and log in an if the girl opened it she could select hers.

So basically I'm trying to get teh general login screen (the one with the user account icons) to appear when my computer awakes from sleep.

Any way to do this??

Cheers

G

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
areth2j said:
Thanks mate, thats kool. I found that option ealier but I was looking to have some way of getting to the main login screen so that if say I opened up the lid I could select my profile and log in an if the girl opened it she could select hers.

So basically I'm trying to get teh general login screen (the one with the user account icons) to appear when my computer awakes from sleep.

Any way to do this??

Cheers

G

I'd say this good place for this question would be the forums over at MACOSXHINTS.COM. Heck...if you do a search over there...you might even find that this has already been covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
pphking said:
Go to System Preferences, Security. Then select "use password to wake this computer from sleep or screensaver"
Now all you have to do is change your password to something she doesn't know then you are sorted.

I would do it this way.. When you set this option and you close the lid of the computer next time you open it up there is a password box. This will allow you to log back into the system if you were the last one using it, but there is also a button on the bottom of that window in which it says "switch user" This will alow you (or your girlfriend) to switch to the account you wish to go to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Go to System Preferences and then Accounts, at the bottom you have Login Options. Just select Display Users and then the security option I mentioned and this should do what you want.

Hope this helps
Paul

OP
areth2j
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, great help.

Just a note for anyone that is reading, I did not have the 'swith users' option on my login scren when my computer woke from sleep.

If you wanna get this you have to switch on 'fast user switching' under Preferences->Accounts->Login Options.

One thing that bothers me about this is that technically the other user stays logged in. Does this not suck away at the available RAM in the system?

Cheers

G

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.