Deleted photos backed up in Time Machine.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
My daughter has gotten herself into a bit of a pickle.
Her Old MacBook Pro was running out of storage space so thinking correctly that everything was backed up on Time Machine she deleted photos from iPhoto to make space. Unbeknown to me she has been doing this over a period of about 2 years. In my defence she does live in a different country. She now realises her mistake.
So she can go back to a time before some of the photos were deleted but then does not have the recent photos. To complicate things she cannot remember exactly when each deletion was performed (multiple times apparently).
So is there a way she can consolidate all of the photos from past and present versions of iPhoto in Time Machine and restore them all to present day?
She is running Snow Leopard.

C

chas_m

Possibly.

Here's how I would approach this task. Others may offer alternatives.

First, I would back up the present library as-is to an external drive. Then I would restore the oldest or most complete version of the library from Time Machine.

Finally, I would use the third-party, $40 program http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ to merge the two libraries together.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm, thanks Chas but we may be talking about multiple libraries eg 10 or more, will that still work? Honestly I don't know how many times she has deleted photos or when, neither does she, this is part of the problem.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Having had a look at the software you suggested. It sounds like it will do the job but how does she create separate libraries from time machine? Is it just a matter of restoring from one date and saving under different names?

C

chas_m

Presumably, there is one old backup of the iPhoto library from before she started messing with it. That, plus the latest one, should in theory have, between them, all the pictures.

Merging those two should be all that needs to be done.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chas, unfortunately not. Over the last two years she has gotten married and had two children. You can imagine how many photos those events alone have generated.
So imagine this; in June 2011 she deletes 50 photos, over the next 2 months she imports 100 photos, in September she deletes 60 photos and over the next 3 months imports another 50 photos. Christmas 2012 she deletes 200 photos and imports 170 etc, etc. The end result is multiple versions of iPhoto saved in TM.
No one version contains all of the photos. And to make matters worse she has no idea of the dates she deleted photos or how many times. They could have been small batches over weeks or months.
I can see no way around this other than restoring each version, say monthly saving each library under a different name e.g. iPhoto library 2, 3, 4, etc then using the software you suggest to consolidate all of the libraries and then dispose of the duplicates. Please say this isn't true (although I fear it is). Because if so she simply won't have the storage to contain all of the versions. I get a headache just thinking about it.

Last edited:
C

chas_m

Yes, I think you have it right then. Luckily, sizable external hard disk drives are super cheap these days. I recently picked up two 3TB Western Digital external drives for $75 each!

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh well that's it then. Thanks for the help. As a busy mother of two with a part time job she might just have to wait until I can tackle it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.