Download Problem

Reaction score
Thank you for your response and offer to help. I have a MacBook, with 2009 stamped on the bottom. I am running OSX 10.6.8. I am very much a novice with limited computer knowledge. I received a message to download what I thought was an update sent by Apple and downloaded. Since then I continue to receive a message each time I open my laptop. Usually twice. It says, "System Extension Cannot be Used". There is a bit more to that message and I could send it all, but need to stop this note in order to have the message repeated. I can close it and continue, but it appears each time I connect. Does this give you enough information to give me any insight?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Your post/problem was moved to here. You replied to our Mac-Forums sticky thread "How to write a quality post" thread…which is not where it belongs.

Your issue is a "stand alone" problem…should be it's own thread (which it is now)…and should not be attached to a forum sticky thread.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
It actually was a one sentence thread with no information where I gave her the link to Quality Post.

Your message is common, probably complaining about the USB to Ethernet kext, and has been discussed before.
I'm more worried about this "update" message you got. What exactly did it say and where did you go to download it?
Was it a dialog window or was it a notification in the upper right corner of the screen>

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your guidance. I received a box in the middle of the screen when I was involved in another project that advised me to download. I can't recall exactly what it said. I couldn't locate past discussions on the forum as I'm still trying to understand computer work itself, sorry. I'm a huge novice. The message I receive every time I log on, usually multiple times is: "The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/Apple USBEthernet Host.Kest" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update." There is a small box with "ok" in it that I can click on and the message disappears. I just want to get rid of that annoying message. If it didn't come through previously, I have a MacBook with 2009 stamped on the bottom. I'm using OSX 10.6.8 if that information helps. Thanks for your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For a possible fix, as another site describes:
"Delete it, then download and install iTunes from the Apple web site. Just do those steps, and the iTunes install will replace the .kext file during its install.

Apple - iTunes - Download iTunes Now "
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6589549

or for earlier OS X 10.6.x check:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6531028

Get and use Find Any File if you need help finding the file:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File
Find Any File for Mac | MacUpdate

Edit:
Just for the record, I do not have any such file in my SL 10.6.8 nor in my Macericks volume they say is in:
/system/Library/Extensions/Apple USB Ethernet Host.kex

Add another site for a solution if the ron4mac link below doesn't help:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6526160

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Catherine,

Here is a recent full discussion of the issue you are having and methods to resolve it.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...27-error-message-about-system-extensions.html

Just to emphasise, your post in that link is very helpful to those that might be searching for the file, and as you said there's no space in the name!!

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleUSBEthernetHost.kext (note no space between Apple and USB)

Thanks for that, and yes that file is in both my SL and Mavericks volumes. I had used the with space that so many referred to in the name.

OP
C
Reaction score
I so appreciate everyone's help. I'll have my oh so computer competent son-in-law clear up my problem with your suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.