iphone 5s won't mount on desktop

Reaction score
I would like to download the photos from my phone to my computer hard drive. When connected the phone doesn't show up in devices nor does it mount on the desktop. Do I have to select something on the phone or use an app to do this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open iTunes, leave it open. Now attach your iPhone 5S to a USB port and of course the phone should be on. (If you have an iMac and using an Apple wired keyboard, do not attach your iPhone to the keyboard USB hub ports.) You should now "see" your iPhone in iTunes. An iPhone will not mount on the desktop like a hard drive or flash drive.

OP
Z
Reaction score
yes thank you. I see that but when I click on photos I only see the option to sync photos from iphoto which I don't use and don't want to use. I only want to download the phone photos into my computer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't use iPhoto to sync and download your photos from your 5S to your Mac. Use your Image Capture application instead. Give it a try and let us know.

OP
Z
Reaction score
That's what I would like to do. I don't see an option to download the photos onto my computer. There is just one window with a synch option to upload photos to my phone from my computer or iPhoto. I don't see anything that will allow me to copy them directly into my computer. Is there another tab or some other place in iTunes besides photos that I am missing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what you're doing but this is how it's done with Image Capture:

Attach your iPhone with its USB connector cable to your Mac, then open your Image Capture application. Look on the left side of Image Capture and you should see your iPhone listed as a device. All your photos that are on the iPhone should show up in Image Capture. Select "import" and choose where you want them imported to.

Did you try that? Let me know. (Remember, you do not need to open iTunes!)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thank you I am doing it now through lightroom!

I like to drag and drop folders. I would love it would work that way, but if it works through lightroom I am happy! Have a great day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like iExplorer but usually don't recommend it since it costs $34.99 to register. The OP here could have used Image Capture which is free instead of Lightroom to transfer those photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I like iExplorer but usually don't recommend it since it costs $34.99 to register. The OP here could have used Image Capture which is free instead of Lightroom to transfer those photos.

I never thought about using Image Capture which I just tried, but I can't get it to Cancel properly when it insists on opening our AIO printer to scan, and have to wait until it's "warmed up" and started to scan.

I can't find any setting to change that if there is one. I guess I could try turning off the HP AIO, but then it goes through a bunch of ink each time it's turned On.

I just recently tried using iExplorer I got somewhere many months ago, which is version 3.4.0.4 and I never have paid anything. Maybe it asks for payment after x number of usages, but it did let me know that there was an update.

I came across iMazing today and gave it a try, but it's definitely a $30.00 pay for DEMO until paid for, but also seems to work well, and for more than photos as iExplorer does as well.

Why on Earth Apple doesn't support such user owned data transfers, God only knows. :(

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks I use Light room for everything and it worked ok to transfer the files from my iphone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.