iMac brightness slider is at max

Reaction score
Hi all have just got myself a second-hand iMac 21 Inch with processor 2.66 Ghz Graphics nvidia TM9Z3NCKOTF 4GIG of Ram and Running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5 I assume the mac uis about 5years old but I never got any detailes about this, Problem is the screen brightness is at full brightness on the slider as found when entering System Preferences Desktop and Screensaver realy I could do with giving the brightness a very small amount of increase but I cannot do this.
On a different subject I`ve looked in the finder/search for the picture folder that is supposed to house my Raw Imaged but this folder is not there including the Moves and Music folders.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Problem is the screen brightness is at full brightness on the slider as found when entering System Preferences Desktop and Screensaver realy I could do with giving the brightness a very small amount of increase but I cannot do this.

It would help if you used some additional punctuation (commas and periods) to separate your statements (it's sort of confusing to read).

If I'm understanding things correctly…your iMac's brightness is at maximum…but this isn't bright enough. Maybe the light in the room is too bright…maybe you are too close to a window…and too much bright daylight is shining on the computer's display.

What happens if you use this computer at night…or if you are in a darker room during the day?

- Nick

Reaction score
If you Pictures and Movies folders are missing sounds like you need a reinstall. You did get a System disk right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are referring to the 20" Early 2009 iMac, suggest you purchase Snow Leopard OS X.6 DVD from Apple Online for $20.00. Boot from that and format the hard drive and do a clean install. Of course everything on the drive will be wiped so if you wish use an external drive to make a backup. If you havce an Apple ID you will be able to download a free version of Mavericks after updating OS X.6.? to OS X.6.8.

Running Mavericks you will find maxing the memory out to 8GB will improve how your iMac runs. For what it is worth whenever you purchase a second hand machine, fomrat the drive and do a clean install.

C

chas_m

In addition to the good advice you've been given, I would note that a machine of that age is backlit with fluorescent lights, and it definitely gets dimmer over time (and never did produce the kind of brightness we're used to with modern LED backlighting).

The only solution, as someone else mentioned, is to darken the room. Or pay to have the backlight redone, which isn't going to be worth it for an older machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.