magic mouse has lost it's way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
how can an Apple magic mouse fail? light works, batteries at 94%; however, after a couple of weeks of intermittent connection issues, will not connect at all. Tested with my MacBook Air and it could not see it. Mouse's green LED indicated searching, but no connection.

Treated well, about 3 years old. Time to replace?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like we humans and rodent mice, they die! How old are the batteries?

As soon as they move off 100% replace mine. Currently using Eenergizer Lithiums get about five/six months from trackpad and twelve months from keyboard. And give rechargeables, even the Sanyo Eneloops Apple retails, a big miss.

Reaction score
how can an Apple magic mouse fail? light works, batteries at 94%; however, after a couple of weeks of intermittent connection issues, will not connect at all. Tested with my MacBook Air and it could not see it. Mouse's green LED indicated searching, but no connection.

Treated well, about 3 years old. Time to replace?

Imo 3 years is ok for a mouse, might be time to get a new one...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Like we humans and rodent mice, they die! How old are the batteries?

As soon as they move off 100% replace mine. Currently using Eenergizer Lithiums get about five/six months from trackpad and twelve months from keyboard. And give rechargeables, even the Sanyo Eneloops Apple retails, a big miss.

@ OP - can you test out the mouse on another computer? If still a problem, then a new one might be your next purchase.

Harry - now if your battery charge drops to 99%, you replace them? If so, how often? ;)

BTW - I'm using rechargeable batteries on our Magic Mouse (have about a half dozen, so plenty ready to put into action immediately) - for those considering using rechargeables, the standard voltage is 1.2 v (rather than 1.5 v) - so, when I do replace them and check in 'System Preferences' the battery indicated is about 80%, but they have worked fine and we get a couple of months of use per set. For those interested, there is plenty of discussion from the Apple Store HERE - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trackpad/mice six months, keyboard 2 months on average. One would think kb's would not last that long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Trackpad/mice six months, keyboard 2 months on average. One would think kb's would not last that long.

For whatever reason, our Apple KB on the iMac has needed far fewer battery replacements (have owned 18 months) than the Magic mouse, but I use regular batteries in the keyboard - who knows (and not much of a concern)? Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.