2 internal HDD on MBP

Reaction score
I have a MBP with a self-installed 500 GB hybrid. It runs fine but I'm slowly running out of space. I don't have any music or movies installed, but a lot of photos.

My optical drive doesn't work and I'm considering installing a second internal HDD.

Found plenty of sites that tell me how to do it, but I haven't come across anything discussing the separation of data.

If I go with an SSD I know it's best to put my applications on that drive. How would I go about doing that?
  • Install a new SSD and then just move stuff over as I need it onto the second drive?
  • Install a new SSD and use my TM backup to populate that drive? I can' afford a 500 GB SSD though.
  • Or some entirely different way I don't know about

Does the second drive show in Finder like it when I used to split the HDD on my old PCs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's best to move your hybrid drive to the optical slot and install the SSD in the primary slot and install OS X and apps on it so that it becomes your boot drive. You can use the drive in the optical slot for the storage of your photo library, music, videos, and what not. I recommend buying the conversion kit from Other World Computing. (Mac Sales)

OP
T
Reaction score
How would I move the apps?

Would it be a TM install on the primary SSD? Or would it be a drag and drop kind of thing?

Haven't been able to find anything written about what to do with one's apps and data once a second HDD is installed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How would I move the apps?

Would it be a TM install on the primary SSD? Or would it be a drag and drop kind of thing?

Some apps can be moved by just dragging and dropping them to the Applications folder on the new drive (SSD) while others may have to be reinstalled. It depends on the app. A Time Machine backup could be used selectively to move apps but again, it depends on the app.

If the SSD you buy is of the same size or larger than your other drive, the transfer would be a lot easier since you could restore a Time Machine full backup to the new SSD. However, you would still need to first install OS X on the SSD so it would be bootable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.