Can't open folders on iMac

Reaction score
This problem just appeared on my iMac. Seems I can't open any folders on my desktop. They can be highlighted but not opened when clicked on. Can't open any applications. Same with external devices. They appear on the desktop when connected but don't open when clicked on. Moving icons on the desktop is hit or miss, jerky at best. Applications in the dock, for instance iTunes, will open but do not function. I am running OSX 10.6.8. I've restarted, relaunched the finder and reset the PRAM. Tried changing screen resolution, too. No luck. Internet access seems to be ok. Mouse seems sluggish taking several long slow clicks for a response. Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
the only thing i can think of is: did you ad (accidentally) an internet application or extension?
I had a problem with lion on the G4 after i updated silverlight from a foreign website.
and did we run a disk scan?

OP
S
Reaction score
No internet applications or extensions added. Can't open Disk Warrior.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the hard drive may be failing. Boot your iMac with your Snow Leopard DVD and then enter Disk Utility from the DVD. Run a verify and repair on the hard drive. Let's see what it says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you mean can't open DW or can't boot from the DVD?

OP
S
Reaction score
I booted from the dvd. Ran disk utility for a verify and repair. No issues. There were permissions repaired. Still unable to open folders, etc.

Reaction score
Can you open a file by right-clicking and select "Open"?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you have multiple accounts setup on this computer?

Have the account settings been modified?

If you don't know what I'm talking about…in "System Preferences"…there are two control panels that can modify account settings/access:

- Users & Groups
- Parental Controls

I'm not super familiar with these areas…but maybe a setting got changed or modified by accident…and needs to be undone. Here's an Apple article on Parental Controls:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14414

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Do not have multiple accounts and account settings have not been modified. Also, do not have the option to right click.

Reaction score
Restart with shift key held down (safe mode). Does anything change?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.