iMac (desk top) vs Laptop Mac pro computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
As many of you know I am in the market to buy a new computer. Mine is 7 years old and barely limping along.

I have never had a Laptop but think I should consider one because I could carry it my self to go to the Genius Bar or the Apple store for hands on assistance when I run into a snag. Hauling my iMac not an option for me .

I would prefer to run a Laptop as a wired computer ( not WiFI) , but I worry the battery may over heat . Should I be concern about that ?
It is my understanding the battery charges when It is plugged into an electrical socket.
I would never need to use a community WIFI since I am retired and only use my computer at home

The screen is smaller on the Macbook vs an iMac. Has anyone found that to be a big disadvantage? Is the new Retina screen clear enough to do basic photo editing?

The MacbookPro only has 2 USB3 ports and I have 2 printers, a separate scanner and an electronic die cutting machine. I use a hub for the printers and scanner but the die cutting machine needs a dedicated USB port. I read I can get adapters to hook up my external back up HD and my ISP cable to the Thunderbolt ports .

I think I can buy a wireless mouse to use with a wired computer, right ?

Now they are using Flash storage instead of a Hard Drive and the entry lever Mac Book Pro has 256 GB of flash storage that is less than I started with . Do I need to buy more to bump it up to 512 GB?

What other differences or disadvantage do you find with either a Laptop or iMac
Thanks
Barbara

PS I plan to buy the most memory allowed for the model I choose .

Reaction score
I recommend that you stick with a desktop. How many times have you taken your current machine in to the Genius Bar? I'll bet you've done just fine for 7 years without doing so. On the very rare, if ever, occasion that you might need to take it in, I'm sure you could find someone to help you. Giving up screen size and connectivity for any very rare portability issues does not seem worth it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have to agree with member "ron4mac". I have an iPad and iPhone which provide me with the portability I need on occasion. But I can tell you truthfully, I would never give up the great viewing I have on my 27" iMac. I do a lot work with documents and the ability to have three pages of a document showing on the screen and viewing them at 125% is a pleasure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I agree with chscag & ron4mac. Go with a 27" iMac. If you are doing photo editing bigger is better. I use a 27" for all my editing. I am retired also. I do a lot of work in photoshop and premiere pro. For details screen size and quality are a must.

And really, if you have a problem the new iMacs are really light. Hauling it to the genius bar might not be that bad. I can pick up the 27" we have a work easily. But I doubt you will ever need to. They are very reliable.

Or go with the Macbook pro and use it in clam mode with a wireless keyboard and mouse and a big monitor.

Lisa

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too agree with the other posts. Aside from portability, for your uses there are a number of drawbacks. I admit it's nice to be able to get live hands on assistance occasionally but at 65 I still find it better to solve my own problems with the assistance of forums like this one. In the end you gain a better understanding of the operation of your device. I suggest that you save past solutions to problems you encounter in a folder so you can refer to them in the future if they occur again. You may even find yourself answering other peoples enquiries as I do.;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have never had a Laptop but think I should consider one because I could carry it my self to go to the Genius Bar or the Apple store for hands on assistance when I run into a snag. Hauling my iMac not an option for me .

Also agree with everyone else…get a desktop. You really haven't given any compelling reasons to get a laptop. The RARE trip to the Apple Store is really not a good reason to get a laptop/notebook computer.

But…I will throw an idea your way that kind of fits your portability needs…get a Mac-Mini!:) EASY to take to the Apple Store when necessary.

But if you were to get a laptop/notebook computer. You would have the portability of a laptop when you need to be mobile…and you can use a large external display at home…when you want a larger display to do things.

But honestly…if your mobile computing needs are just for the convenience of going to the Apple Store…that's not a very good reason. You almost always get "more bang for your buck" buying a desktop computer.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.