Duplicate file finder

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have a good suggestion for a reasonably priced duplicate file and photo finder? Thank you!

I have a 2012 iMac and a MacBook Air running Mavericks 10.9.5 (iPhones and iPad as well that aren't necessary for the software).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Jenny,
There are quite a few apps. on the AppStore that handle duplicate files.
Launch the AppStore and in the top right hand corner search for " Duplicate files " and you will get over 20 results, with a lot of different price tags.

I don't know about finding duplicates in iPhoto.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
As told by another member.... Just search in finder for '*' and then sort by size. Really slick!
Free too.

Backups save your six.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
That may give you an indication of ' duplicate ' filenames, not duplicate filenames with identical content :)
The tools on the app store have a far more granular approach ( checksum etc...... ) and the interface is much more efficient.
My humble opinion of course.

M

MacInWin

I use Gemini, which is in the App Store. Works well, quickly and give me the option of which of the dupes I want to delete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I used Araxis Find Duplicate Files but only identifies identical files. now I use the far more flexible PhotoSweeper which will identify duplicates and near duplicates irrespective of file size. It's very clever.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi all, I used Duplicate Zapper which was a waste of a dollar. It didn't find one thing. I then tried Duplicate Detective for $3, which performed slightly better but not much, it found about 6 duplicates. Just a heads up to anyone with the same question not to waste any money on these two.

I've put it all aside for now as I'm working on a password protector and will try some of these others mentioned later Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thank you MacInWin. One of Genius' at the flagship Apple Store in NY also suggested Gemini.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I use Gemini and Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro which now works with iPhoto and Photo libraries. I get a lot more us out of Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro because it allows degrees of difference. Very handy if you use a drive function or take many photos of the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
To update my previous post - I now use PhotoSweeper for searching for image duplicates as it will find images that are nearly duplicates whereas Araxis Find Duplicate Files only finds exact matches.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.