Macbook Pro A1212 slow

Reaction score
Hello,

I have this problem with my macbook pro A1212. It has always run smoothly. suddenly it works very slow. takes long to load even a simple program as Firefox.

It has the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU at 2,33GHz and 2GB of DDR2 RAM memory. I have already swapped the ram memory from my 15" MBP, no result.
This one (A1212) is a 17" model and it's running Lion 10.7.2.

My other mbp is a intel core duo (without the 2) and it's a lot faster then my 17" laptop.

i did a clean fresh install of lion, but no results. still slow as ****.

If i run windows on it, it's ok. even plays full HD movies, but on OSX (what it's meant for lol) it's just slow.

any help????

thanks very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it depends on a number of things.

2GB of memory is miniscule - consider upgrading to 4GB however only 3GB will be shown.

How full is the hard drive? requires at least 20% free space otherwise it will slow down.

How long is it since you ran Onyx over it? Not running AV software or the dreaded Mackeeper etc?

Why have you not upgraded Lion, which is a terrible operating system, to OS X.7.5?

And model A1212 was released in october 2006 so it is showing its age, like all of us! Time to start saving those pennies.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello,
First of all thanks for your responds, but...
1. it has always run perfectly with the 2GB, replaced by another chip
2. hard drive can't be full since it's a fresh install
3. i don't know what onyx is hehe
4. nothing like anti virus or mackeeper, fresh install
5. 10.7.2 did a great job so i reinstalled it again from scratch
6. lol it's an old thingy right, but i just find it strange that it would suddenly get slower on me.
could it then just be a hardware issue that suddenly appeared?

PS: i forfot to mention that i also tried a fresh install with the OSX 10.5.8 Leopard, still slower then my OLDER mbp 15"

and agai, when i use bootcamp and i start windows, everything runs smooth, so i just want to figure out what the problem might be. If it was due to its age, it would also run slow on win7, but then it runs perfectly...

i'm afraid this is a very weird problem :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i'm afraid this is a very weird problem :p

With everything you mentioned...and the age of the computer...it could be a dying hard drive. If you have access to a 2nd HD (like the one from your other 15" MacBook Pro)...you could install it into the 17"...and see if it helps.

If the 2nd HD in the 17" works better. Then you know that the problem is probably something to do with the 17er's original HD.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
i'm gonna give that a try.
hope that works. could take some days for a responds (work etc) but if it helped i'll sure post it.

thanks for the help ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.