FBI virus locking up Safari on Macbook Air

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that it's just a pop-up. Just close the window…or quit & reopen Safari. And stop visiting questionable sites (I've only seen this happening when folks visit "questionable" sites)!;)

I've never gotten this visiting sites like MSN.com, Apple.com, CNN.com, Amazon, eBay, Craig's List, etc., etc.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Nick,

Thanks but this virus locks up Safari window on Macbook. Even force quitting and restarting does not get rid of FBI screen and lockup of sarafi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you share a print screen with us.
And the version of the OS (and the version of Safari.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
E
Reaction score
McBie,

My MacBook Air Safari is locked up so cannot sharse print screen. Communicating on second MS computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you do a " reset " safari from the Safari menu when Safari is running ?

Cheers ... McBie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks but this virus locks up Safari window on Macbook. Even force quitting and restarting does not get rid of FBI screen and lockup of sarafi.

My first thought is the computer may be locking up for another reason not related to Safari. Maybe a graphics issue, cpu issue, or software conflict issue.

- Is Safari the only application open? If not close all other apps.
- Have you tried rebooting the computer…then reopening Safari?
- Try a different internet browser (like Chrome)…and see if the same problems occur.

* Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Make sure you do not have Safari set to open last page viewed and simply click on Safari and click reset.
A friend got this awhile back and this fixed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Lastes version oS , Mavericks?? OS X?? Safari I keep updated to latest version.

Hi Ed - not a virus but malware that has captured your browser (i.e. ransomware if you are being asked to give some $$) - if you cannot 'Reset' Safari, then try to 'Force Close' the browser (go the the Apple and open the menu) - good luck. Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
No have Outlook open and getting your replies that way and on second computer.

Shutting down Macbook and restarting Safari just gets the screen lock FBI window back,.

Cannot download Chrome because no browser working to get it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thing. If your computer is completely locked up…make sure the computers storage device is not completely full. If the computers storage is completely full…you will not be able to use the computer until some free space is created on the computers storage device.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try turning off your wireless or disconnect your ethernet cable however you are connected to the web and try to reset Safari if you cannot do that open preferences in Safari and under privacy click on remove all website data then see if you can perform a reset of Safari also it sounds like you have it set to last page opened change that.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks guys, got plenty of memory, other apps work okay, only Safari is blocked by malware. Cannot reset or do anything with safari.

Got a website that says will tell me how to remove for $69.95 and may have to go that route. Also recommends AVASTI! ree software to prevent reoccurrence. May have to do that but thought someone here could help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Have you tried the suggestion posted above by OSXX ?
No need to buy help to remove it and no need for AVAST either.
We only need to get at the " Reset Safari " menu item.

Can you close that dialong box in Safari ( you may need to do this 150 times )

Cheers ... McBie

OP
E
Reaction score
Thank you SENIOR MEMBER.

You solved it. I disconnected the wireless connection to the Mac Air, rebooted it and started safari. Came up fine and I reset Safari. Turned wifi back on and now Safari is fine.

JUST HAD TO DISCONNECT WI-FI !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone you saved me $69.95 and I will remember the solution. You remember it too!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys, got plenty of memory, other apps work okay, only Safari is blocked by malware. Cannot reset or do anything with safari.

Got a website that says will tell me how to remove for $69.95 and may have to go that route. Also recommends AVASTI! ree software to prevent reoccurrence. May have to do that but thought someone here could help.

I don't know if this is the case on your computer…but there is malware that goes by the name "ransomware":

Ransomware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where an infected computer is "held for ransom" by limiting access to it…then forcing the user to purchase something that "unlocks" the computer.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone you saved me $69.95 and I will remember the solution. You remember it too!!

Congrats on finding a solution!:)

- Nick

p.s. As I mentioned earlier. Be careful visiting questionable sites. Practice safe computing.:)

OP
E
Reaction score
That would be OSXX I want to thank for the suggestion to discomnnect WI-FI !! PERFECT THANKS!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.