Time Capsule -> Time Machine -> Ext HD

Reaction score
I got a 2TB APTC that is running Time Machine.

It is currently backing up all of 2 MB's in our household.

Im going to be adding a Ext HD so that we can easily share files and access large movies that Ive downloaded from my personal DVD collection.

Will Time Machine automatically backup my Ext HD or is there something else I need to do?

(also: I formated the ext HD in "Mac OS Journaled/Encrypted".... this was correct right? or should I have done it in FAT?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check out this YouTube video on how to backup an external hard drive with Time Machine. The drive has to be formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled not FAT-32.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Check out this YouTube video on how to backup an external hard drive with Time Machine. The drive has to be formatted to Mac OS Extended Journaled not FAT-32.

If I understand that video correctly, it shows you how to use a external HD to put Time Machine on it and back up computers.

I have a Air Port Time Capsule 2GB with a Ext HD plugged in. The Time Capsule is already running Time Machine and backing up our MacBooks just fine.

I want the Time Capsule to also backup the Ext HD as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.