that air/truck delivery called where you bought mac games from that catalogue

Reaction score
what was that air/truck delivery called where you bought mac games from that catalogue in the mid 90's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Down Under, the only catalogue available was from AMUG (Australian Macintosh Users Groups). Remember update 7.0.1 for System 7 came on sixteen floppies, added to the eighteen of the original system. Everything came on floppies in the days before CDs.

OP
A
Reaction score
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Down Under, the only catalogue available was from AMUG (Australian Macintosh Users Groups). Remember update 7.0.1 for System 7 came on sixteen floppies, added to the eighteen of the original system. Everything came on floppies in the days before CDs.

what the heck are you talking about? i'm talking about the catalogue that you would order mac games from, games like battle chess, lunicus, hellcab, you don't know jack. does anyone have one of those old catalogues from the mid 90's, and what was that service that delivered the games via truck or air called?

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
what the heck are you talking about? i'm talking about the catalogue that you would order mac games from, games like battle chess, lunicus, hellcab, you don't know jack. does anyone have one of those old catalogues from the mid 90's, and what was that service that delivered the games via truck or air called?

Please let's be careful using the "masked words"/curse words...we don't allow that around here...thanks.:)

As to your question. One of the catalogs was MacWarehouse...another was MacConnection...there were probably other too. The delivery company you're thinking of may have been "Airborne Express". I think that they were bought by DHL around 2003.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Please let's be careful using the "masked words"/curse words...we don't allow that around here...thanks.:)

As to your question. One of the catalogs was MacWarehouse...another was MacConnection...there were probably other too. The delivery company you're thinking of may have been "Airborne Express". I think that they were bought by DHL around 2003.

- Nick

thanks. and no, it was not airborne express. different name, that i do not remember. do you have any copies of macwarehouse catalogues? do you remember the name of the surgery simulation game they were pushing, something like "surgeon"?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks. and no, it was not airborne express. different name, that i do not remember. do you have any copies of macwarehouse catalogues? do you remember the name of the surgery simulation game they were pushing, something like "surgeon"?

Geez…I used to get MacWarehouse catalogs what seemed like every week for like 8-10 years. I may still have a couple laying around in an old box of dusty stuff.

Could the game be called "Life & Death"?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well aren't you the lucky so and so's?

Only been a Mac user since 1990 and never set eyes on a catalogue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

This is what they used to look like (below)...sorry if it comes thru very large:

They were called "MacWarehouse"...but they used to be jokingly called "MacHohouse" (it really wasn't "**" it was the "W" word for "**")...because almost each page of the catalog had a photo of some pretty female "phone operator"!;) I think that their "Hay-Day" was the mid-1990s thru the early 2000's.

See photos below. Of course check out the hair-do's!;):

mw022.jpg

269200660_b3c12c46f5_m.jpg

269255851_ec260432f6_m.jpg

267501044_0e659684ff.jpg

:):):)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Mac Connection and PC Connection (same company) used to send out catalogues every month and more often when they had specials. Anyway, take a look at some of those prices in the Mac Warehouse catalogue that Nick posted pictures of and then compare them to what we're paying today. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First catalogue I have seen. Very interesting. Volunteerrs in the AMUG used to publish by Gestetner, remember them, the latest available software. No advertisements and in my area most Mac dealers opened part time with a rep on the road to schools etc. Even Apple stores only arrived in the last decade or so.

Always tickles my fancy. Down here the Performa range were all-in-ones considered very much an education line, such as the 480CD Performa, 5200CD Performa, 5500 Directors Special Performa.

OP
A
Reaction score
Geez…I used to get MacWarehouse catalogs what seemed like every week for like 8-10 years. I may still have a couple laying around in an old box of dusty stuff.

Could the game be called "Life & Death"?

- Nick

can you try to find one of them from the mid 90's and check for the name of the delivery service and also the name of the surgeon game?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
can you try to find one of them from the mid 90's and check for the name of the delivery service and also the name of the surgeon game?

I'll send you my Paypal email address for services rendered!;)

FYI...the delivery company that MacWarehouse used (that I remember mostly) was Airborne.:) I got quite a few packages from them.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
I'll send you my Paypal email address for services rendered!;)

FYI...the delivery company that MacWarehouse used (that I remember mostly) was Airborne.:) I got quite a few packages from them.

- Nick

it wasn't airborne. i might be thinking of a different catalogue

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it wasn't airborne. i might be thinking of a different catalogue

It was Airborne if it was MacWarehouse (in the U.S.).:)

Where are you from?...your spelling "catalogue" the Canadian/UK/Australian/Commonwealth way! ;)

We may be on opposite sides of the world...where the delivery companies back in the 1990's may have been totally different!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
It was Airborne if it was MacWarehouse (in the U.S.).:)

Where are you from?...your spelling "catalogue" the Canadian/UK/Australian/Commonwealth way! ;)

We may be on opposite sides of the world...where the delivery companies back in the 1990's may have been totally different!;)

- Nick

no, i'm from america, despite my spelling of that word. the catalogue i'm thinking of was always pushing "You don't know jack" and this surgeon game that i don't remember the name of. along with hellcab which my dad ordered from this catalogue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, i'm from america, despite my spelling of that word. the catalogue i'm thinking of was always pushing "You don't know jack" and this surgeon game that i don't remember the name of. along with hellcab which my dad ordered from this catalogue.

You are ABSOLUTELY right…I remember both "You don't know jack" and "Hellcab" constantly being pushed.;) Are you saying that the surgeon game wasn't "Life or Death" that I mentioned earlier?

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
You are ABSOLUTELY right…I remember both "You don't know jack" and "Hellcab" constantly being pushed.;) Are you saying that the surgeon game wasn't "Life or Death" that I mentioned earlier?

- Nick

i tried searching for the name of that surgeon game and all i could come up with from googling was "life or death." for some reason i just remember the game being called "surgeon." probably a false memory on my part. on an unrelated note, i remember reading, in the name of Rav Avigdor Miller or by Rav Miller himself, something like every time a person davens, he has gained that much more awareness of Hashem, so the next time he davens his prayer will be more acceptable, something like this. Does anyone know where I can find this? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.