SSD slow shutdown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Hello

I recently fitted a SSD (Crucial M550) in my new MacBookPro (OSX 10.9.5).

Start-up time was poor - until it was pointed out that I need to select the SSD as my start-up disc (even though there is no other drive in the machine!). After doing this, start-up time is excellent, around 7 to 8 seconds.

Yet, shutting down is slow - between 14 - 20 seconds. I expected it to be almost instant?

I realise that this could be a complex subject, with many variants - and I haven't given much info in this post...
BUT, I was just wondering where to start looking? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks, CB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There may be something running in the background that is forcing OS X to pause the shutdown process until it is finished doing whatever it is doing. It could be an app you have running that needs to clean up some cache files before it closes, or write some cache files before closing.

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if you have the same slowness. Do the same with a new user account. Log out of your usual one and into the new one. Then just shut down from there without running any apps and see if there is a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
BUT, I was just wondering where to start looking? Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks, CB

Start looking for what exactly ?
Are you looking for ways to reduce the shut down time to less than 14 seconds ?
Obviously it matters a great deal to you, but my suggestion is to allow the OS to do its thing when it shuts down.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And are you quitting programs rather than just hitting the little red buttton to close windows?

OP
cowbrain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Thanks for replies. Much appreciated.

There may be something running in the background that is forcing OS X to pause the shutdown process until it is finished doing whatever it is doing. It could be an app you have running that needs to clean up some cache files before it closes, or write some cache files before closing.

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if you have the same slowness. Do the same with a new user account. Log out of your usual one and into the new one. Then just shut down from there without running any apps and see if there is a difference.

Thanks. I think you must be right re something running in the background. Activity Monitor seems stacked with 'stuff' which must have come in with Mavericks. I could try quitting things one by one and go through a process of elimination.
I tried it in safe mode - and it took even longer to shut down!
Not tried the new user account trick, yet, though.

Start looking for what exactly ?
Are you looking for ways to reduce the shut down time to less than 14 seconds ?
Obviously it matters a great deal to you, but my suggestion is to allow the OS to do its thing when it shuts down.

Cheers ... McBie

Thanks. Yes, looking for reasons for slower shut down time.
It doesn't matter a great deal to me - doesn't matter much, if I'm honest. But it's a new high-spec machine which is almost empty, so I'm curious why it wouldn't perform as expected. Other Macbooks I've owned with SSD's in them, would shut down in 2 or 3 seconds. (Although, this is my first machine with Mavericks)
I am following your suggestion, at present. But may continue searching for a cause.

And are you quitting programs rather than just hitting the little red buttton to close windows?

Thanks. Yes, this was one of the tips I learnt as an early switcher (from Windows) and I still quit correctly. I also use command + Q, sometimes. (Just as good?)

Again, thank you for replies.
It's not a hugely important issue, but I'm certain that something is preventing a quicker shutdown and I'd like to know what it is, even if I can't do anything about it.
I started this thread in the Hardware Forums, as I wondered if I had to activate/switch some command to the SSD to rectify the situation.
As I continue to investigate, I will post again in the OSX/software forums, which is probably a more appropriate place for this issue.
Best wishes, CB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.