Running Windows from an External HDD

Reaction score
Good evening,

I'm considering installing Windows on a partition on my external HDD, I have a Mac Book Air from 2011, my question is: will I be able to choose the boot sector in it? I don't really master Mac, on windows you'll simply define the boot order via BIOS or BootSec. Is there a guide to do this? Do I need special precautions in terms of how my external HDD is formatted, etc?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
can't bootcamp only works on internal drives only if you need a windows program that doesn't require internet access you can use wineskin for mac it converts windows apps into mac apps

OP
I
Reaction score
Really? Even if I simply install it as a separate OS on my external HDD and boot from there (ignoring Mac boot, just change the bootsec priority to the external HDD first)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
John is correct. Windows will not install on an external hard drive due to the built in anti piracy routine by Microsoft. You can, however, use virtual software (Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox) to run Windows on an external drive but it's not the best because it will be slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.