Migration Assistant from PC to iMac

Reaction score
I have inherited an IMac 24" Mid 2007 and am trying to use Migration Assistant to migrate data from a 2002 PC running XP Professional. I have the Migration Assist. app on both machines and follow prompts, but the computers will not do the deed. I did first disable, on the PC, the firewall, the anti-virus software and automatic updates. I have connected the two computers directly with Cat5 Ethernet cable, and I have also connected them both to the same router also with Cat5 cables. No luck. Any thoughts?

C

chas_m

I wouldn't know,not having had to do this for a long time, but I thought Migration Assistant used USB?

OP
K
Reaction score
The Migration Assistant instructions specifically stipulate the connection be made with a CAT6 Ethernet cable, either direct one machine to another, or to connect both machines to one network router. I used CAT5 cable, because that's what I had, and because both computers are so old I figured CAT5 would be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Recent versions of Migration Assistant can perform the transfer over a network assuming that the two machines can "see" each other on the network. A direct computer to computer connection over ethernet might require a crossover cable depending upon the age of the gear. The connection through the router should work.

The Cat 5 cable should be OK.

@Ken Are you getting any error messages when you try the connection?

PS. I didn't actually edit your post. Click it when trying to edit mine.

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Recent versions of Migration Assistant can perform the transfer over a network assuming that the two machines can "see" each other on the network. A direct computer to computer connection over ethernet might require a crossover cable depending upon the age of the gear. The connection through the router should work.

The Cat 5 cable should be OK.

@Ken Are you getting any error messages when you try the connection?

PS. I didn't actually edit your post. Click it when trying to edit mine.
Thanks Slydude,
My PC is ancient, it's a 2002 running XP Pro with SP3. The iMac is no spring chicken, either. It's from 2007. I used CAT5 cables to connect the machines directly, and also to connect them to the same router. Neither method worked, The computers never shook hands, but just kept trying. No error message appeared.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.