iMAC G5 A1076 Reset Password

Reaction score
I work with a recycler.
I was given an iMAC G5 A1076 tyhat is password locked.
I have tried OS X (10.5) Leopard - original operating system version - but does not work
I have tried "OPTIONS" key install but it rem,ains locked,
I have tried "APPLE" + "S" to get the text screen but to no avail........

This is a like new machine and if I can't get it open it will be torn down.

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thx PTW

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is a like new machine and if I can't get it open it will be torn down.

"Like new" machine or not…an iMac G5 is still around a 10 year-old computer…so it's not a "diamond in the rough". Not gonna set someone up for retirement.;)

There are two types of passwords…one that is software based & one that is firmware based. I guess we need to know which one it is.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I deal with people who can't afford new or even gently used and who do find this iMAC a diamond in the rough so it is important to me since this one is earmarked for a litttle girl and with an upgrade (OS) she will be happy.
As to the password, I am not sure, I only know that I can't get past it in any of the usual ways. I have also tried the "option - command - p - r" to zap the Ram but no,...........it's as if parts of the keyboard have been disabled during boot.

Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
As I had said before, I have tried all of the methods .......

With OS disk in - boot - hold down OPTION key ..............password required,............

Will not force a boot to disk with the 'C" key....................

Will not respond at all to "Command + Option + P + R" to 'zap the Ram"..............

Will not open to a text screen to enter: Mount -uw / etc..........

Someone out there must know of another back door

Thx P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deal with people who can't afford new or even gently used and who do find this iMAC a diamond in the rough so it is important to me since this one is earmarked for a litttle girl and with an upgrade (OS) she will be happy.

One thing to be aware of. The max OS version on this computer is 10.5.8. Apple no longer supports OS 10.6 with security updates (and this OS is one version newer). So no new security updates for any Mac OS older than OS 10.7.

So someone using this computer (if it can be made operational)...will be more vunerable to security issues. Especially if there is ANY personal info transmitted via this computer (names, address's, phone numbers, passwords, personal ID's, bank accounts, etc.).

This means any websites that require passwords & ID's:

- email
- iTunes
- Facebook
- eBay
- banks
- school signin's
- anything requiring a credit card
- etc. etc.

* Nick

C

chas_m

It certainly sounds as though there is a firmware password on the machine. You'll want to do a search on how to overcome that (not sure if you can).

I hope you succeed, but even if you do I would *strongly* suggest this machine not be connected to the Internet, for security reasons.

OP
P
Reaction score
I am very much aware of the security issues. As I said this is for a child and hert parents can't afford the internet.

All of our refurbished machines are sold and distributed with the utmost concerns and precautions regarding security and safety.

thanks for all your cautions and concerns and assistance.

P

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said this is for a child and hert parents can't afford the internet.

You didn't mention the part about not being able to afford the internet previously.;) Otherwise I would not have mentioned the security concerns.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
can i honestly say something that model of iMac was known for bad capacitors and a really bad power supply that failed quite often i wouldn't even bother with the machine its kinda dangerous especially with the power supply when it starts burning a hole through the case

OP
P
Reaction score
pigoo3 - Nick, Thanks, that was not suggested yet.

johnodd4, - Thanks for the advice. I always look for bulging or "topped cans". I do that even on 'the other' PC's.

P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.