External or internal DVD burner for ibook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1gb RAM 80gb HD, Superdrive, iPod video 30gb
I'm not bothered what sort I get I just want to know the price range of them and which one is cheapest to get? Also where I can get em from of course...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Im sure you can pick up an external DVD writer quite cheap now (something between say £60-100?)

I would try Amazon, E-Buyer etc...

I would go with an external because of how much hassle it would be to find a writer that is compatible with the iBook (i.e. one that will physically fit inside it) and the hassle of taking the iBook to bits and installing it.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I agree with what MrChris says.

It would be a lot of hassle to find and fit an internal writer I would imagine.
Let us know what you get as I too am looking for a DVD writer that's cheap for my iBook.
I had an iMac but just sold it as I found I am using the iBook all the time and the iMac was only being used for burning DVDs.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
I put a Pioneer K05 DVD burner in my iBook. I just don't want the hassle of carrying around another piece of equipment. I can't remember how much I paid for it...but it was less than 90 bucks. It does dual layer...and is natively recognized under Tiger. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart...but if you're decent with electronics and don't have parkinson's or some other inability to control your fine motor skills...then it's really not that bad of a process to replace the optical drive in an iBook. Just follow the instructions over at ifixit.com and you should be good to go.

For what it's worth...Newegg's got the K-06 (which also does DVD-RAM) for less than 90 bucks here.

I've got half a mind to order it and replace mine :)

OP
makwanad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mcsenerd said:
I put a Pioneer K05 DVD burner in my iBook. I just don't want the hassle of carrying around another piece of equipment. I can't remember how much I paid for it...but it was less than 90 bucks. It does dual layer...and is natively recognized under Tiger. I wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart...but if you're decent with electronics and don't have parkinson's or some other inability to control your fine motor skills...then it's really not that bad of a process to replace the optical drive in an iBook. Just follow the instructions over at ifixit.com and you should be good to go.

For what it's worth...Newegg's got the K-06 (which also does DVD-RAM) for less than 90 bucks here.

I've got half a mind to order it and replace mine :)

So maybe if you get the new one I could buy the old one off you if you ship to the UK?

Also to the comment before this one, how on earth did you get that mahussive drive to work inside your iBook? It must have taken intense surgery and must have been one long operation to do so!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
makwanad said:
So maybe if you get the new one I could buy the old one off you if you ship to the UK?

Also to the comment before this one, how on earth did you get that mahussive drive to work inside your iBook? It must have taken intense surgery and must have been one long operation to do so!

I didn't put it in my ibook, I put it in an external enclosure. The surgery wasn't very intensive, and the operation didn't take too long either! I was happy with the end result. I was too scared to open up my ibook before the warranty ended to put in an internal.

OP
makwanad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah right I see, I am starting to dislike my G3 iBook, although I love macs deeply mine does not give me the power I want nor does it have the features I want, which is why I want to make i as best as I can. If not then I'm getting the Intel Mini!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.