moving itunes from external hard drive to laptop

Reaction score
Currently have iTunes on external hard drive (F) and media files on laptop(C).External drive is on its way out and I want to move iTunes onto C drive to keep everything together until I get a new external hard drive. Any help would be much appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's been awhile since I used iTunes in Windows, but I believe you're going to have to download another copy of iTunes from Apple and install it on drive C. You can't just move the program from drive F (your external drive) to C because the registry would not reflect the correct information. Once the new copy of iTunes is installed on C move all your media files to the new iTunes library. Make sure everything is working and your media files are all there before removing the old copy of iTunes from F. Don't forget to change your startup menu also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.