Logon, FileVault

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Imac mid-'11, Mavericks.

I have FireVault enabled. I also have a password before logon (boot up to screen, i guess it's called). Here's my question: If one loses the password to the screen, there are ways to retrieve it somewhat easily (Google the solution), so that being so easy, what's the point of FireVault? I mean once past the logon, you're in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First of all, it's called "FileVault" not FireVault. I corrected your title to reflect the proper terminology.

FileVault is not used to protect you from yourself but to protect your data from others who may have access to your machine. And it is not easy for someone else to obtain the password. According to this Apple KB article certain things that only you know are required to reset the password.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get all that about the key for the FileVault and only I know the answers to those 3 question to retrieve it. What is not making any sense is that it's easy to "break into" my computer anyway because my logon (logon to the boot up screen) can be reset with not much difficulty by someone else, according to Google, rendering FileVault useless.

edit: I shouldn't have called FileVault useless. Obviously it isn't, but there's a disconnect in how in works, to me.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're referring to someone who has access to your iMac being able to boot to the recovery partition and changing your login password. Yes, this is possible. The only way to avoid that from happening is to use a firmware password.

A word of caution: If you forget your firmware password, you may be locked out of your Mac with no way of getting around it. Newer Mac's firmware password can only be bypassed by an Apple technician. You will have to provide proof of ownership of the Mac before they will do it.

Anyway, I don't know why you're worried over this. Isn't your iMac secure in your home or office?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL...I'm not worried, there's nothing to secure on my computer (well, maybe a couple embarrassing photos...:Mischievous:). But really, I'm trying to reconcile the weakness of the log on password (weakness: a Google shows how to bypass it) and how easy it is to gain entrance to computer, which makes me wonder why even bother with encryption.
I chalk up it up to a disconnect between my brain how FileVault works...not saying this is a stupid feature on Apple's part.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.