Looking to switch

J

jdpfeil

I am new to this forum and have looked at numerous threads, but would like to get some advice for my personal situation. I currently have a pc laptop and am interested in switching to a mac. I definitely prefer laptops over desktops. I am leaning toward the macbook pro, but am not sure if it is overkill for me. I use my pc for working/playing online and burning dvd's and cd's. I use anydvd and dvdshrink (automatically burns with nero). I know those 2 programs are not available for mac. I need advice on which laptop to buy and the software that will work similar to what I currently use(or something better). I likenot having to take too many steps to decrypt, shrink, and burn--its really only 1 program I have to run with this setup. Also I normally watch the movies on my laptop. Money is not a major determinant, but I don't want to waste it by going overboard either. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.

-Jeremy

Reaction score
I think you should wait for a Core Solo iBook.

Because you do a lot of DVD ripping, you'll need a decent processor, and I even ometimes get angry at my G5 when ripping DVDs, so I don't know how slow a G4 will be.
The only ripping software for mac that I know are Handbrake and MacTheRipper.
I don't know about a anydvd type thing for mac.

Online gaming: what do you do? You'll need to see whether that works on a mac.

OP
C

chrisb2999

I say if you can afford it, get the macbook pro. The thing will stay fairly modern for a while to come, and they are just so **** cool.

I think the program "Super Duper" will rip dvds for you on a mac.

As for online gaming, if you are any kind of serious gamer, in all honesty don't get a mac. Or if you meant online games like the little flash games then you'll be a' ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am going to have to recomend the macbook, it is the fastest apple laptop, and I am going to say that the ibook core solo will be wayyy to slow for ripping dvds and such, I think that the macbook is your only option since you are also into playing games.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
If you have the money, go for the MacBook Pro. Or, go with the Powerbook, but the MacBook Pro will give you a better deal, and it's really a bang for it's buck.... wait powerbook's G4? Go Macbook. The only real problem you might run into for now is software compatibility- not much is available for the Intel Macs as of now, but I assume that'll change within the month, two months at most.

And if you're gonna game, go PC. The only really good game out for Macs that I've seen is World of Warcraft, which I'm actually considering buying. But definately go PC for games unless you mean flash unline games like stated above, then you're fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 15" PowerBook 1.3Ghz, 1gb, 120gb hd
I believe the op meant that he browses the web, as he did not specifically say 'games'.

I too would reccomend the mac book. I use my powerbook for a bunch of media(movies/music/pictures) and it works very well, and it's not even as good as the MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.