Apple ID Password Change

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
My wife has taken over my iPad (Model MD510LLA) and has forgotten her password. The Apple ID seems to be accepted but I cannot seem to change the password. We have installed IOS 8.0.2. HELP PLEASE?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which password did your wife forget? If she forgot the password that goes with her Apple ID that's different from the password that unlocks the iPad. And what have you tried?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
To chscag: I am sorry to be a pain but my wife is 77 years old and often forgets things. Thanks for sending the copy of your rules. I will strive to obey. To answer your question, the forgotten password is the one which goes with her Apple ID. I have tried the suggestion mad by pigoo3 without success. We tried the question system and, yes, she had forgotten the answers. Is it possible to change both Apple ID and accompanying password? Again, sorry if I approached this thing incorrectly. Any help is appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We tried the question system and, yes, she had forgotten the answers. Is it possible to change both Apple ID and accompanying password? Again, sorry if I approached this thing incorrectly. Any help is appreciated.

I'm thinking that if a person cannot remember their Apple ID password…and cannot remember the answers to the security questions…there are two options:

- Call Apple and see what they can do. If you have the correct Apple ID…maybe Apple can do something else to verify the account before they can reset the Apple ID password.

- One of the biggest reasons for using the same Apple ID is to have access to previous purchases (music, software, OS versions, etc.). If your wife does not have much in the way of previous iTunes or Mac App Store purchases…then maybe setting up a new Apple ID is the solution.

But I would go with calling Apple a try first. They may have additional suggestions/solutions as well.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.