Format OSX Ext. Journal 32GB flash drive to FAT 16/FAT 32 format using Disk Utility

Reaction score
I just finished erasing/reformatting a 32GB flash drive (supplied already formatted to Windows) to Mac OS X Extended Journaled format. I used the maximum security erasure (7 times) option as the drive was new.

Can I now use Disk Utility to reformat the flash drive to FAT 16 or FAT 32 format, please?

Can I then drag/copy MP4 movies onto that drive using OSX 10.9.5, please?

I would like to watch multiple MP4 files without having to change the flash drive, when I connect the flash drive to a DVD/VCR combo. FAT 16/FAT 32 are the only formats supported by the "LG" combo which its specs say supports USB 1.1 (My 21.5" iMac supports USB 2.0

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I haven't tried this with 10.9.5.
Do you mean you inserted the flash drive, opened Disk Utility and could not select the drive?
If you can select it, go to erase tab, and select DOS format (=FAT32), then erase.
With FAT32, individual files are limited to 4GB. Do you have movie files larger than 4GB?

OP
PaulRanger1
Reaction score
I haven't tried this with 10.9.5.
Do you mean you inserted the flash drive, opened Disk Utility and could not select the drive?
If you can select it, go to erase tab, and select DOS format (=FAT32), then erase.
With FAT32, individual files are limited to 4GB. Do you have movie files larger than 4GB?

Hello gsahli,

I inserted the brand new DOS formatted flash drive, selected it in Disk Utility and then used DU to reformat to OS X Extended Journaled (after 7 x most secure erase sequence). The FD is now OS X Ext Journal formatted (GUID partition).

DU should enable me to format the FD back to DOS but will the Partition GUID option come into play when formatting back to DOS? Will I then be able to drag the MP4 files onto the FAT32 FD so the Mac can copy each file, please?

There are 22 x (≈) 400MB and are episodes in the one TV series.

I hope this clarifies my situation a little. Thank you for your kind response.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

P.S. The "LG" DVD/VCR combo I'm using states in its specs that it supports USB 1.1 and my iMac 21.5 inch uses USB 2.0. Will this preclude the combo reading the episodes on the FAT32 flash drive, do you think?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Chedk under Partition > Options. Perhaps formatting MS-Dos will automaticly take it back to Windows Master Boot Record (MBR) . If not do it manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.