Macbook Pro 2.16 (Late 2006) dim screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Mini, iPad Retina
I've seen a lot of discussion about the backlight tube blowing and the screen being 99% dark. I would say mine is dim. Not too dark to see anything, but it's a bit irritating looking at darker photos. (I should also mention the apple logo on the back of the screen is dim as well.) I've already reset the PRAM and also ordered a new LCD and Inverter Board in hopes that it will fix the problem.

Firstly, is it possible for the CCFL tube to be a bit dim but not blown?

Secondly, if it is the CCFL, I can only find a replacement shipping from China.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Also, this started about 2-3 years ago and has not gotten any worse since. Don't know if that helps.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A worn CCFL tube will definitely grow weak and then dim. Since you ordered a new LCD display, do you know if the tube is included within the unit? If so, there should be no need to order one from China. And since you also ordered an inverter board, you should have it covered.

Some info: Apple will not replace a backlight CCFL tube without replacing the entire LCD display. I know the replacement displays that Apple use includes the CCFL. I do not know if the one you ordered includes the tube which is why I asked.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Mac Mini, iPad Retina
A worn CCFL tube will definitely grow weak and then dim. Since you ordered a new LCD display, do you know if the tube is included within the unit? If so, there should be no need to order one from China. And since you also ordered an inverter board, you should have it covered.

Some info: Apple will not replace a backlight CCFL tube without replacing the entire LCD display. I know the replacement displays that Apple use includes the CCFL. I do not know if the one you ordered includes the tube which is why I asked.

Oh wow! I honestly didn't know the CCFL might be included with the LCD. I just check the listing I ordered it from and it IS in fact included. Thanks so much for your response! I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out the CCFL issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear your new LCD includes the CCFL tube. Go ahead and replace the inverter anyway as a precautionary measure. Just be careful replacing that display and be sure to follow the replacement directions given at www.ifixit.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.