Spilt water on macbook pro 2013, won't work when unplugged

Reaction score
Hey guys, just 2 hours ago, I had accidently spilt half a cup of water onto my macbook. I am using a Macbook 2013 Retina display, and the water went on the speakers and the keyboard. I turned it back on, everything was fine, but It will only work with the power cord plugged, when unplugged it shuts down instantly. Also what I've noticed is that the battery is stuck at 95% and is not charging. I have tried to reset SMC and stuff but I'm not sure what to do now. Can someone tell me what the problem is?

Its asking me to replace the battery, when I've had this laptop for less than half a year....
Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: DP
Device Name: bq20z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 702
Hardware Revision: 1
Cell Revision: 1206
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 5776
Fully Charged: No
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 6370
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 502
Condition: Replace Now
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12592

System Power Settings:

AC Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
Wake on LAN: Yes
AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400
AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1
Current Power Source: Yes
DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 0
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
GPUSwitch: 2
PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0
Standby Delay: 10800
Standby Enabled: 1
Battery Power:
System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 1
Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 0
Wake on AC Change: No
Wake on Clamshell Open: Yes
AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400
AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1
DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 0
Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes
GPUSwitch: 2
Reduce Brightness: No
Standby Delay: 10800
Standby Enabled: 1

C

chas_m

For the love of all that's holy STOP USING THAT COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY!!!!

You have **NO IDEA** where that water is seeping into and what its about to short out. The machine needs to be powered off, completely disassembled and all parts stuck into a giant bag of rice for a few days. You're taking a TREMENDOUS risk with a very expensive computer.

If there's an Apple Store near you, take it in and be honest about what happened. NOW.

OP
A
Reaction score
For the love of all that's holy STOP USING THAT COMPUTER IMMEDIATELY!!!!

You have **NO IDEA** where that water is seeping into and what its about to short out. The machine needs to be powered off, completely disassembled and all parts stuck into a giant bag of rice for a few days. You're taking a TREMENDOUS risk with a very expensive computer.

If there's an Apple Store near you, take it in and be honest about what happened. NOW.
O_O I don't have a screw driver thats small enough to open out the bottom..... oidj2odijqwd i don't know what to do... can't I just leave it off while its assembled and wait for the water to dry out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fingers crossed the logic board does not fail which usually happens using when wet!

OP
A
Reaction score
Fingers crossed the logic board does not fail which usually happens using when wet!
Okay I have turned it on after not using for 12 hours, everything is fine except for the same problem. Is my logic board broken? If I let it dry for a few more days will it go away? omg I hate this i can't use anythingggggggg

C

chas_m

I don't mean to be rude, but what part of "If there's an Apple Store near you, take it in and be honest about what happened. NOW." are you having trouble with?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay I have turned it on after not using for 12 hours, everything is fine except for the same problem.

"Everything" is not "fine" if the computer will not run unplugged. This is a BIG problem!

Spilling a half cup of water on a laptop computer was the problem. Did you read the "I spilled liquid on my laptop" thread I linked. "Survival rates" in this situation without spending a lot of money to repair them are very very very low.

Sorry to be so negative. But when failure rates are 95% or greater in this situation. There really is no easy way to "sugar-coat" things. And of course this situation is TOTALLY avoidable. Don't drink or place liquids close to laptop/notebook computers!!!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.