Macbook Pro for university studies

Reaction score
My situation:
I'm a Computer Science student and I'm looking to get a Macbook Pro.
I am unsure whether to get the 13" Retina or the 15" Retina.

What I'll be using it for (in order of how demanding I expect them to be):
  • running virtual machine(s) (only one at a time)
  • running IDEs, text editors, compilers
  • making notes in lectures
It's worth noting that I'll be using a virtual machine and IDEs/compilers at the same time.

My problem:
  • I'm unsure whether I will really make use of a quad core (15"), but I'm unsure whether a dual core (13") will really cut it.
  • I'm unsure if 8GB of RAM will be enough for when I'm running a Virtual Machine (with IDEs/compilers at the same time).
  • I want it to last for my entire studies and a bit after that, so I want it to be future-proof.

:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The choice between the 13" and 15" is simple: If you can afford the 15" machine and need a larger screen, then go for it. The difference between the CPUs you mention won't matter. Both will suffice for what you need it for.

One thing to keep in mind... retina machines are not user upgradeable for memory. And third party flash storage is expensive and requires a tech to upgrade. So for all practical purposes, the machine is not upgradeable. Which means you need to load it up with as much memory as you can afford (recommend 16 GB) and as large a flash storage drive as you can afford.

OP
G
Reaction score
The choice between the 13" and 15" is simple: If you can afford the 15" machine and need a larger screen, then go for it. The difference between the CPUs you mention won't matter. Both will suffice for what you need it for.

One thing to keep in mind... retina machines are not user upgradeable for memory. And third party flash storage is expensive and requires a tech to upgrade. So for all practical purposes, the machine is not upgradeable. Which means you need to load it up with as much memory as you can afford (recommend 16 GB) and as large a flash storage drive as you can afford.

I can afford either, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily!
As far as upgradeable goes, I plan to get it right first time then let it die a slow death over the coming years, rather than trying to hold onto it and revive it by upgrading it.

I don't believe that the best thing to do is 'load it up with as much memory as you can afford' because there's no point doing that if I'm never going to use the memory (which is why I asked here for opinions about usage). 8GB seems to be fine for even good gaming rigs but I'm new to the Mac (and laptop) scene so I'm unsure if the same applies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You said multitasking and compilers and you can't decide between 8GB or 16GB? You plan to use it for what 4 or 5 years as a student? You need to remember to plan for the future. I can remember when 1GB of memory was considered excessive and now????? More memory, more speed. Yes, Macs handle memory well and can do more with less but with each upgrade of OS X they recommend more memory.

You didn't indicate what CPU you are looking at. I would suggest the i7 just because you will be doing some intensive work. And the biggest SSD hard drive as you can afford and 15" would give you more screen to work with.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe that the best thing to do is 'load it up with as much memory as you can afford' because there's no point doing that if I'm never going to use the memory (which is why I asked here for opinions about usage). 8GB seems to be fine for even good gaming rigs but I'm new to the Mac (and laptop) scene so I'm unsure if the same applies.

You came here asking for an opinion and you're unfamiliar with the Mac platform. And now you're debating with us over memory? Do some searching in our forums and get a feel what others who are more experienced than you have done or recommend.

As fast as technology moves ahead, 8 GB may not be enough to run the latest operating system in several years. We gave you a recommendation. If your mind was already made up (sounds like it is) then why ask for our opinion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I think there are a some things you're not understanding here:

1. In your first post in this thread YOU SAID...YOU weren't sure 8gig of ram was enough. So this in itself suggests that you think you need more than 8gig...so you have to go with 16gig of ram.
2. If you get the 15" retina MacBook Pro...they ONLY come with 16gig of ram (preconfigured).
3. If you get a 13" retina MacBook Pro...your ONLY ram choices are either 8gig of ram or 16gig of ram.
4. Finally. 16gig of ram is the MAX. ram for any MacBook Pro model.

So when "chscag" suggested "load it up with as much memory as you can afford". 8gig is standard for the 13" models...16gig is standard for the 15" models...and 16gig is the max for ANY model. Thus he was suggesting you get 16gig of ram!

- Nick

C

chas_m

I just want to reiterate the recommendation for RAM. You cannot add RAM in the future (okay, perhaps possible with OWC but it's a warranty-voiding act), so stop worrying about whether you will "use" all of the 16GB of RAM and get it. Today you may not use it all, tomorrow will -- I promise -- be a different story. Five years from now, 16GB of RAM will be the minimum computers come with.

OP
G
Reaction score
You came here asking for an opinion and you're unfamiliar with the Mac platform. And now you're debating with us over memory? Do some searching in our forums and get a feel what others who are more experienced than you have done or recommend.

As fast as technology moves ahead, 8 GB may not be enough to run the latest operating system in several years. We gave you a recommendation. If your mind was already made up (sounds like it is) then why ask for our opinion?

I didn't debate, I just wanted to discuss it, since the difference between 8GB and 16GB (at least in the 13" model) is in the upwards of a hundred pounds, so it is really important to me that I got some opinions.

Anyway I appreciate all of your advice, all of you :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.