Stop Ipad deleting emails from hotmail server

Reaction score
I recently purchased an ipad...

I added my Hotmail account but if read and delete and email on the Ipad it disappears from the actual Hotmail account.

I have seen this before on my iphone, but some how managed to stop it.
The iphone has a POP3 email using SMPT.live.com as the outgoing...

However, my new ipad does not give me the option to set POP3 only IMAP.

Both accounts were added using the "other" option opposed to the "exchange" account.

I'd like to be able to check mail on both devices and delete emails without them being deleted on my Hotmail server.
I store a lot of emails but don't want them cluttering up my ipad and phone.

I've read about clashes between POP3 and IMAP.
Perhaps its my iphone I need to change to IMAP.

Any advice appreciated!

Thank you.

C

chas_m

If you're deleting emails ... then you are deleting emails.

A hotmail account is, as far as I understand, an IMAP account. That means you are looking at, and manipulating, emails on the server. So when you delete them, you are deleting them from the server.

You appear to be wishing that you had a POP3 account when in fact you have an IMAP account.

The solution is to not delete them. Your iPhone and iPad can be set to show you only the last "x" number of emails, and do not store them permanently on your device, so don't worry about "cluttering up" your devices.

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the advice,

Yes. I am physically deleting them on my IPad (IMAP) and...it is then removing them from the server.
My IPhone (POP3) on the other hand doesn't do this...

So to rephrase my question...

How do I set up a POP3 Hotmail on my Ipad?
I see no option to select this when I add an email account.

OP
D
Reaction score
If you're deleting emails ... then you are deleting emails.

A hotmail account is, as far as I understand, an IMAP account. That means you are looking at, and manipulating, emails on the server. So when you delete them, you are deleting them from the server.

You appear to be wishing that you had a POP3 account when in fact you have an IMAP account.

The solution is to not delete them. Your iPhone and iPad can be set to show you only the last "x" number of emails, and do not store them permanently on your device, so don't worry about "cluttering up" your devices.

question in post above...

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi there,

my old Iphone has my Hotmail as a POP3 account. which is great and works well.

However, my new ipad appears only gives me the option to add Hotmail as an IMAP account.

So when I delete and email on the ipad it deletes it from the server and it dissears out my Hotmail.
I often like to retain my emails in Hotmail.

Can anyone tell me how to set up / configure my Hotmail on my Ipad so its the as my iphone.

I have tried typing in the same settings... ie. SMPT.live.com , POP3 etc... but it wont verify the account.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Duffer:

Please do not cross post. Keep your question confined to one thread rather than spreading it between two. I merged both your threads together here. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.