Getting second mac mini, set up a network?

Reaction score
I have a 2010 mac mini running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and bought a new mac mini with Maverick. I'm trying to decide whether to migrate the old machine into the new machine, or set the new machine up as a new entity with the idea of putting them in my own network or LAN. I'm using an Airport Extreme for my wireless and knock on wood it has been treating me well.

I wanted another machine for the music room that can play iTunes and record on Garage Band (and hopefully someday Logic) with. I kind of like the idea of having that machine be a dedicated music machine. My old machine can continue being my primary journal, bookkeeping and web surfing unit. I see no need to bog down my new machine with all the pictures and journals of the old machine. Granted the hard drives are so massive that it isn't really that significant a percentage of their capacity.

I guess my biggest question would be about the administration side. Will I be able to use the same admin name and password on both machines? I plan to use Home Share for the iTunes. I would like to be able to enter stuff to the other machine from the one I'm sitting at. Say if I were in the music room, I think of something to say in a journal, I'd like to be able to write it down before the thought is gone (hence the journalizing.)

Before anybody utters the 'C' word, using the Cloud is not an option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I think you have talk yourself into keeping both mac mini's going and networking them using your AIrPort extreme. You can do all you want - without the cloud.

Yes, you can use the same admin name and password on both machines. Actually, it will make things easier. Just connect both to the AIrport and open the share function in system preferences and select what folders you want to share. You can open a document one one mini, edit it and then save it back to the original mini's file.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have to agree. I've done this for several years till the Mac Pro died. Make sure that the user names and passwords are exactly the same (spelling, capitalization, etc).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.