Macbook Air mid 2013 11" blackscreen

Reaction score
This morning I woke up to my Macbook open, ac power connected, fans running loudly, and an unresponsive black screen. Since it wasn't responding i did a hard-shutdown by holding the power button for a few seconds. I've done this repeatedly and the computer fails to boot up. I turn it on : the apple logo will turn on(it will stay lit when closed) and the screen will turn to a slightly lighter black than when off. I have already tried to boot into Disk Utility.
The keys don't work, there is no backlight on the keys, and its just a black screen with no cursor(no chime or apple symbol). I do have the OSX Yosemite beta installed but i've never had something like this happen before. I'm going to take it to the geniuses on Saturday.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

I'm going to take it to the geniuses on Saturday.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Hopefully your MacBook Air is still covered by Apple care. Let us know how it went.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Hopefully your MacBook Air is still covered by Apple care. Let us know how it went.

I have an appointment for this next saturday, please post in the mean time if anyone finds anything or knows anything. I cant stand being without my computer for this long.

C

chas_m

Did you try leaving it turned off for a long (overnight) time? Your initial symptoms sound like heat coma to me.

C

chas_m

Definitely not that then. I hope the geniuses are able to figure out what the problem is and fix it for you. Let us know!

OP
M
Reaction score
Definitely not that then. I hope the geniuses are able to figure out what the problem is and fix it for you. Let us know!

Hey ,
Just got back from the apple store a few hours ago and I'm happy to say I'm typing this on my macbook air. The genius told me that in the middle of the night the yosemite beta tried to automatically update and there was a kink some where in the installation so he went in the back unplugged the battery and somehow got into the login screen. So i guess it was just a very rare occurrence.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.