Macbook 4,1 Stuck on install

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried installing OSX Lion on this Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.1 13-Inch but the installation crashed halfway through.

Now, normal boot gives me this:
IMG_20140927_152928_zps09rzmblj.jpg

Install usb boot gives me this:
IMG_20140927_152558_zpsgogagraj.jpg

And safe boot reboots itself at the apple logo screen.

Any clue what to do? I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with GPU as graphics didn't cause issues with leopard.

Thank you very much in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

If the installation crashed, you might want to restart that before trying to debug the broken installation..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What media are you using to install Lion (OS 10.7)?

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
What media are you using to install Lion (OS 10.7)?

- Nick

USB restored from DVD, also tried with one restored from the Snow Leopard DVD.

Can't try actual DVDs as there is one stuck in the optical drive (yes I have tried every way of getting it out I have found on google)

My feeling is the only hope might be target disk mode but I need to get myself a firewire cable. I'll get back saying how that went.

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

If the installation crashed, you might want to restart that before trying to debug the broken installation..

No way of restarting the installation as I can't really boot into anything, just freezes with those screens. The cursor still moves though, its everything else that doesn't.

Thank you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd be very suspicious of the actual Installer and how they were actually created on the media being used.

Has it actually been used successfully previously??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
USB restored from DVD, also tried with one restored from the Snow Leopard DVD.

Just we are on the "same page". Lion was never distributed on DVD. So the Lion DVD you have would have had to have been made from a .dmg file from the Mac App Store. And then the USB would have had to have been made from the DVD.

If you've previously purchased Lion from the Mac App Store. I would redownload it…and redo a "bootable USB" installer of Lion. Maybe something was "lost in the translation"…from .dmg to DVD to USB.

Can't try actual DVDs as there is one stuck in the optical drive (yes I have tried every way of getting it out I have found on google)

There is one sure way to get the disk out of the drive. Remove the drive…and remove the top cover off the drive (screws). I've done this on a used computer I purchased. Unfortunately there were two disks stuck in the drive (previous owner had small children)…and when I removed the disk & reinstalled the drive…the drive was still dead!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never failed to get a stuck disk(s) out of a drive, especially a MacBook that can be tilted easily, using a pair of very thin tweezers I have. And with the help sometimes with some thin but firm and bendable plastic strips with double-sided carpet tape, or even some duct tape folded over to leave some of its sticky side exposed.

And if that fails for the OP, USB external optical drives are cheap these days and still useful. ;)

Reaction score
it does look like a logic board failure though because the graphics issue doesn't happen ever during installations and you got one happening on a installation which tells me faulty logic board

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
it does look like a logic board failure though because the graphics issue doesn't happen ever during installations and you got one happening on a installation which tells me faulty logic board

That's quite a leap there..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's quite a leap there..

+1.

My experience with similar Macs is that they won't even boot and often with just a black screen when the logic or graphics boards go kaput.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.