convert/play WMA

Reaction score
Other than QuickTime (which used to be free), is there a WMA player or converter to WMA for Mac OS 10.8?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
You can use VLC (videolan) works great, plays everything.
Not sure of this one statement but itunes might convert it.
more will chime in later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Other than QuickTime (which used to be free), is there a WMA player or converter to WMA for Mac OS 10.8?

Well, QuickTime is buit into OS X as least in recent versions (I'm running Mavericks) but will not natively play a WMA file unless a codec is added - see the screen capture below from this Apple Support Article - seems like the Flip4Mac codec is needed; if interested, go to the link - NOW, I've not used this QuickTime 'add-in', so no personal experience - if you do give the codec a try let us know your results.

Also, there is third party software that can be used (simply google 'WMA to MP3 conversion Mac') - a program that I used previously on my Windows machine was Switch Audio File Converter - seems to be a $30 purchase (not sure if there is a trial period - check link,if interested). Adapter is another program (free) that I've read about but have not given it a try - not sure if the app does 'WMA to Other Apple compatible codecs'? Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 2.13.19 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14

Hi again J-writer - I hope that you'll return to the forum? :)

BUT, out of curiosity, I did a DL and install of Adapter (linked in my first post) - also did a DL of a WMA file (flute song) - would not play in QuickTime, but using Adapter, I was able to convert to MP3 (other options are available) and the file then played fine on my MBPro - have not explored all of its features, but a free option. Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.