New hard drive not appearing in disk utility

Reaction score
I have a new internal drive I installed in my macbook pro 13'' early 2011 which did not appear in disk utility when I booted up. I tried connecting the new drive to the macbook with a SATA to USB adapter but it still does not appear in disk utility. I can hear the drive physically running though. I tried the terminal command 'diskutil list' but it only shows my original hard drive.
I tried the drive through the SATA adapter on a windows laptop and it briefly appeared [the 'installing driver software message popped up] then disappeared.

Is there any way to make the drive appear?

Reaction score
Does the new drive have little jumpers. 0, 1,or slave. What type of hard drive is this as some could clash.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any way to make the drive appear?

Did you format the hard drive for the Mac OS (Mac OS Extended Journaled)?

Since it came from OWC it may have already been formatted…but you never know.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
it wasn't formatted, the site says you have to format it yourself. I tried using a SATA adapter to connect the drive and format it but it didn't work

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this SATA Adapter SATA to USB? What brand/Model is the adapter?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
it wasn't formatted, the site says you have to format it yourself. I tried using a SATA adapter to connect the drive and format it but it didn't work

Send the drive back to OWC. From your description and what you've already tried, the drive is likely defective. Personally, I would stay away from a hybrid drive as we have seen problems with them before. If you can afford it, go with an OWC SSD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
it's a r-driver III usb 2.0 to sata ice cable

Have you tried other hard drives with this cable on your Mac? Do they show up?

I just did a search on the r-driver III usb 2.0 to sata ice cable and found people with PC's and having your same issue.

I own an OWC USB SATA adapter and it's never let me down.

OP
C
Reaction score
Send the drive back to OWC. From your description and what you've already tried, the drive is likely defective. Personally, I would stay away from a hybrid drive as we have seen problems with them before. If you can afford it, go with an OWC SSD.

hopefully it's something else, returning would be the last resort

OP
C
Reaction score
I keep finding the word "jumper" when researching this issue. do jumpers apply to SATA drives? is there a way to change jumpers or jumper settings to see if the drive will be accepted?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep finding the word "jumper" when researching this issue. do jumpers apply to SATA drives? is there a way to change jumpers or jumper settings to see if the drive will be accepted?

Normally no. The SATA drives I own have jumpers but for compatibility with older SATA 1.5 interfaces and other things but not like IDE drive like jumpers. SATA does not use those. Do other drives work on that interface plugged into your Mac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

SATA drives do not have jumpers like what we were used to seeing on older PATA IDE drives. That drive should have immediately been recognized regardless of whether or not it was formatted. And since you bypassed anything that could be defective in your MacBook Pro preventing the drive from being seen by using the adapter, the only conclusion I come to is the drive is DOA. Why don't you contact OWC support since they have a toll free tech support line? Their techs are top notch and may be able to provide some better advice than what we can give you here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I missed the first part of your first post that you first tried the new drive in the MBP itself. If that is the case and the new drive does nothing Both IN the MBP and on the External Interface, I agree that the drive is probably defective. Had a few right out of the box that were dead, so it's very possible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a new internal drive I installed in my macbook pro 13'' early 2011 which did not appear in disk utility when I booted up.

How did you boot the computer after installing a brand new unformatted internal hard drive?

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was guessing he put in his old drive into the MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was guessing he put in his old drive into the MBP.

Maybe.:)

I have a new internal drive I installed in my macbook pro 13'' early 2011 which did not appear in disk utility when I booted up.

I was trying to figure out what went on initially when the OP posted this in post #1.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How did you boot the computer after installing a brand new unformatted internal hard drive?

- Nick

I was going to ask the same question but it looks like we're still waiting for an answer - which will be interesting. ... ;) :D

And I'd be suspicious of the USB/SATA adapter and/or the cables used, and using a compatible enclosure might be a better idea and try before declaring the new HDD kaput or DOA.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was why I asked so many questions about the external interface. I searched for what he has and saw many with drives not showing using that interface.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was going to ask the same question but it looks like we're still waiting for an answer - which will be interesting. ... ;) :D

And I'd be suspicious of the USB/SATA adapter and/or the cables used, and using a compatible enclosure might be a better idea and try before declaring the new HDD kaput or DOA.

I'm curious what he says also. However, he tried the drive in the machine and it wasn't recognized and then he used an adapter which also resulted in it not being recognized. And to top it off, he tried in a Windows machine with the same result. What more does anyone need to figure that maybe the drive is DOA? I advised him to contact OWC tech support. Maybe they can talk him through getting it to work, or they'll say to return it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.